Author Topic: Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)  (Read 8658 times)

kawzak

• View Profile
Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:04:22 PM »
I posted this in the Tech section also. The headlight relay for my 2008 250S went bad. Turn on ignition key-light come on count to"5" or start engine, headlights go out and do not come back on. Every thing else works normal. I have less than 3k miles.The module is located in the front cowl,left side in back of radiator. I am Emailing Kymco dealers in Texas to find this part (D-421) and the cost. I don't find any recalls. I am not looking for any warranty I am curious if any one else has had this problem. Once i get the new part- I'm going to relocate it farther away from the radiator. Thanks for any replys.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
I posted this in the Tech section also. The headlight relay for my 2008 250S went bad. Turn on ignition key-light come on count to"5" or start engine, headlights go out and do not come back on. Every thing else works normal. I have less than 3k miles.The module is located in the front cowl,left side in back of radiator. I am Emailing Kymco dealers in Texas to find this part (D-421) and the cost. I don't find any recalls. I am not looking for any warranty I am curious if any one else has had this problem. Once i get the new part- I'm going to relocate it farther away from the radiator. Thanks for any replys.

I have 2008 250S bought in 2009 with 4000 kms on it and did not experience any problems so far in regard to headlights.

I am looking at exploding diagram 250S and do not see headlight relay at all. Are you sure that it exists? The module in the front cowl is turn light relay both on Agility and People.

Take a look at the diagram I have attached.

First thing I would check is fuse. Last week I had a problem with Agility (horn and turn indicators did not work, engine would not run on electric starter just kickstart) and the culprit was dead fuse on completely another electric wire.

Let me know what happens, I would like to know how you have resolved it.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 03:03:47 AM »
Sorry I posted the wrong part #. the real number is 38600 or 3860a. I did check the fuses first. The circuit fuse (e)  15 amp provides power to this module. The module has a (2) prong terminal ( Red w/yellow stripe +  and Green  -) and a (4) prong terminal. blue w/ blk stripe wire to high beam white w/blk stripe to low beam, White (low) and blue(high)wires to start, pass,switches which drop power when in start/crank mode, regain power in run mode. My module times out or drops the lights when startingor times out ( 5-6 seconds). It has BIG cracks in the insulation/pour over the circuit board. The wiring schematic in the people 250S manual shows this module.  It costs $ 40+, probably because of the solid state circuits and the built in timer. Thanks for the reply.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
Sorry I posted the wrong part #. the real number is 38600 or 3860a. I did check the fuses first. The circuit fuse (e)  15 amp provides power to this module. The module has a (2) prong terminal ( Red w/yellow stripe +  and Green  -) and a (4) prong terminal. blue w/ blk stripe wire to high beam white w/blk stripe to low beam, White (low) and blue(high)wires to start, pass,switches which drop power when in start/crank mode, regain power in run mode. My module times out or drops the lights when startingor times out ( 5-6 seconds). It has BIG cracks in the insulation/pour over the circuit board. The wiring schematic in the people 250S manual shows this module.  It costs $ 40+, probably because of the solid state circuits and the built in timer. Thanks for the reply.

One question for you, if you know maybe: how do you change front light bulbs on People 250 S?
I have removed the fairing (3 screws) but have no idea what else has to be removed.
Of course, service manual was of absolutely no use as it says just to replace the bulb...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:55:33 AM »
To answer the how to replace the head light bulbs-you have to remove the wind shield, take the phillips screws out of the small upper fairing/handle bar cover-(4) from thru the black rear speedo/inside fairing, --(2) on each side of the painted fairing handle bar cover they are phillips/6mm hex head combo screws--pull each side of this cover slowy out ward so you can slip the black inner cover off the screw boss on each side. Then there are (4) more phillips screws from the front (these were covered by the wind shield previously. lift the speedo with the black cover upwards slightly there are (3) tabs where the speedo hooks into the front painted fairing/handle bar cover. reach down and loosen the speedo cable (unscrew collar) -or you may be able to remove the bulbs with out disconnecting the speedo. Be sure not to touch the bulbs with you fingers. hope this helps. This is alot easier if you down load the repair manual somewhere on this People 250S site, in a much older post (last year). 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
To answer the how to replace the head light bulbs-you have to remove the wind shield, take the phillips screws out of the small upper fairing/handle bar cover-(4) from thru the black rear speedo/inside fairing, --(2) on each side of the painted fairing handle bar cover they are phillips/6mm hex head combo screws--pull each side of this cover slowy out ward so you can slip the black inner cover off the screw boss on each side. Then there are (4) more phillips screws from the front (these were covered by the wind shield previously. lift the speedo with the black cover upwards slightly there are (3) tabs where the speedo hooks into the front painted fairing/handle bar cover. reach down and loosen the speedo cable (unscrew collar) -or you may be able to remove the bulbs with out disconnecting the speedo. Be sure not to touch the bulbs with you fingers. hope this helps. This is alot easier if you down load the repair manual somewhere on this People 250S site, in a much older post (last year). 

Like I said, that manual talks about People 250 S and shows pictures of People 250 !!!! It has completely different Tupperware!
Big thanks for the useful tips, I will save your post now for future use.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:10:09 AM »
Axy, your right- the manual shows the regular 250, any way I had mine apart to install the 2 small # 194 LED lights ( parking lights)  so the explaination I posted earlier how to disassemble is correct. By the way the Kymco shop owner says The headlight module I need is probably under warranty, since I bought mine new last June. Kymco's have a Two year warranty. Thats a good thing since this module costs $ 53.00

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:19:25 AM »
OK, new headlight module in place-all is well again. The shop I bought my scooter from -warrantied the part. I did put it back in the rubber mount/origional location-but it now has a piece of semi-stiff insulation board between it and the radiator-which is about 4 inches away. It might not need the insulation as the origional part was bad with big wide cracks in the solid state printed circuit board cover. Any way It was probably one of those early fail parts-as electronics fall into the bath tub curve life scale. It either fails when fairly new or very old,unless there are other problems causing short circuits,etc.

automattic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
This a problem other kymco bikes have to. You can google it. I replaced mine on my 2007 Kymco People S 250 a few months ago. The new one is already acting up with the headlights not always working. Anyone know a way to wire headlights around this faulty device? Im gonna contact kymco about this. Im not going to keep buying a faulty $40 part.
Silver 2007 Kymco People S 250

eugenec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
I replaced the OEM solid state relay with two mechanical ones (for cars) from autozone. It is not that difficult to figure out which pin goes to which. The mechanical relay is much stronger and handles higher current with ease, and it is cheaper too. (I am using a Xenon HID light in place of one bulb, that is why I used two relays. You can wire both bulbs together and use only one relay)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:55:09 PM by eugenec »

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:40 AM »
Just washed my scooter and now the headlight issue as described is happening to me. If I used one relay wouldn't both lights always be on at the same time?

What has to come off to easily get to the relay?
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()