Author Topic: Kymco UXV 450 tree kickers/ nerf bars...  (Read 4122 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Kymco UXV 450 tree kickers/ nerf bars...
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »
   Did some maintenance on the 450i yesterday and realized it is the center and front and back skid plate I remove for work. The two side skid plates where the kickers will be mounted are rarely removed for work so....no worries there!!
Has anyone considered mud flaps for the front?  After removing about 35 lbs of mud from under the front just behind the front wheels I see a need for some type of mud flap there. Where a frame section and two body panels meet there are pockets that allow the mud to get into and it is quite difficult to get it all out without taking everything apart. I have some ideas just need to find some 30" long strips of rubber sheet about 6" wide to make one for each side. If anyone sticks their head in there and looks closely you will see the voids that need covered.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 07:38:52 PM »
So I have a prototype made and I put the three bigger self tapping screws in which screws into the frame and it was strong enough to hold me (220lbs)
I plan to get them finished and powder coated this week and will have pictures soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

that reasoning does not inspire much confidence in your product

I think it might be different if this machine was like an Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 or a Polaris Rzr that they really abuse. but just for a utility vehicle for someone that uses it to hunt or does light offroading, I think the self tapping screws should suffice. Like you said the frames on these Kymcos are pretty thick and strong so I'm not a bit concerned about then stripping out.

for light use, I'm not sure why anyone would want "nerf bars"  other than bling
RandyO
IBA#9560

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »
that reasoning does not inspire much confidence in your product

for light use, I'm not sure why anyone would want "nerf bars"  other than bling
I don't know, I just figured since all of the other brands were making them for theirs , I figure people may want them for the Kymco. The term "light use" can be concieved in many ways depending on your personal experiences with offroading. I myself have flipped Wildcat 1000s and was a championship atv and motocross racer. So the term can be construed. I have all the faith in my products. I take pride in building accessories and being American built.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »
Just sayin "I put the three bigger self tapping screws in which screws into the frame and it was strong enough to hold me (220lbs)"  does not inspire confidence, if the fasteners can't hold the weight or force of the vehicle while the bar is sliding across a stump, then they are pretty much worthless
RandyO
IBA#9560

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
I understand what you're saying I think that could be said for any typeof product like this though. Depending on the weight or force exerted. Have you seen most of the other ones. They use like half inch tubing. I'm using two inch tubing. I was just using that as an example of how well the self tapping bolts hold. If youre turning through trees and brush up against one of them. You may end up scratching the side of your UXV. These protect that from happening.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
   I wish I had them on our last outing this past Wednesday. On two separate occasions, one with a tree and one with a large boulder we were forced to do a lot of jockeying to get the machine thru and at one time it was my body strength only that saved my UTV while my grandson was driving. I was surprised at the effort that was needed to keep the machine from getting the plastic crunched, not really as much as I thought. Now I am a 66 yr old guy and not very big at 5'6" but I was able to push the machine over far enough so I am confident the tree kickers will do the job. Being right down by the frame bottom rather than me pushing from the roll cage will have a physical advantage. It will be a lot easier to touch up tree kickers rather than having to touch up the plastic body! Besides that price out tree kickers from other manufacturers as they are quite pricey, but also designed to protect a much heavier machine then the 450i.

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 03:32:13 PM »
sending yours off tomorrow!

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 02:03:35 AM »
So I have a prototype made and I put the three bigger self tapping screws in which screws into the frame and it was strong enough to hold me (220lbs)
I plan to get them finished and powder coated this week and will have pictures soon.

I received mine today, installed them in 15 minutes, and can't wait to run over something with them! Lol. These things are great looking and built like a tank. Quality product ! Thanks. ORBA!
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()