Author Topic: new rear tire  (Read 1322 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
new rear tire
« on: July 18, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
Today I finally replaced the rear Metzler Feel Free tire and I think it's safe to say these are some really good all around tires. I only got about 7500 miles out of the OEM Kenda rear tire and 8500 out of the Kenda front. Replaced both with Metzler Feel Frees at listed intervals. Today my bike has 24,500 miles which means I got about 17,000 miles out of the rear tire and the front is still going strong! Just my opinion and I have tried no other brands but I am sold on Metzler's Feel Free tires and will never try anything else, because why switch when you can get that kind of mileage out of any scooter tire. Are there better tires.....sure...but not for me!

spikebites

• View Profile
Re: new rear tire
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
So are you saying the Metzler tires lasted 16,000 miles on the rear?  wow.  that's a lot more than I was expecting.

Just curious, how or who did you take to get the tires mounted?  do the big chains like Discount Tire or Firestone mount scooter tires?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
Mopar, that is GOOD news since I just replaced the oem Maxxis with Metz Feelfree front & rear.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
I removed the wheel myself....Its a bit of a job but once you do it, it's pretty simple. Drop exhaust, remove shock on left side, remove brake caliper, remove housing holding wheel in place and removing plastic wheel shroud makes the job easier....Hardest part is getting exhaust back on....there is a little gasket that needs to be installed between exhaust and manifold.  Took wheel to Bike Doctors here in Fort Worth. They did the new tire mounting and balancing for 30 plus tax....I advise putting on a 90' angled valve stem to make it easier to check and fill with air when needed. Make sure you torque the nut that locks the housing onto the wheel mount. I didnt torque the first time and one day noticed it had come loose. Wheel wont come off but you could ruin the bearings.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
The first tire change I removed the whole exhaust which required unplugging the O2 sensor. The Yager exhaust was welded in one piece which requires this technique, the DT is a two-piece and B&L pointed that you can separate the joint and not have to go through all that other stuff. The clamp and pipe are first rate and separate easily. Just a "heads up" for next time!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 03:17:26 AM »
Good idea Karl on the exhaust detachment. I saw that clamp and joint there but the eyes and brain never made the connection....old age aint pretty! Thanks for the heads up. Not having to stab the front end of the exhaust and removing the O2 sensor will save SO MUCH time the next go around as those were the two hardest parts of the whole job. Thanks!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()