Author Topic: 2014 Scooter Cannonball - Advice Request  (Read 5958 times)

josephthediviner

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Scooter Cannonball - Advice Request
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
That's hardly broken in yet, but with the new fuel mix's (ethenol) in mind I would add a carburetor diaphragm from personal experience I had one fail at the 500 mile point of a 1000 miler IB ride.  made it home on a cuff of a nitryl rubber glove in tool kit acting as diaphragm.   

I recently changed out my 2008 People 250S headlamp for a HID unit from (ddmtuning.com)  remember to run the power and ground directly from battery use some 110 sow rated cable.  I am thinking of adding some LED running lights to augment the headlamp.  at 55 watts it kicks out a really bright beam but the leds will be for more open Highway use.     

Also I have used an Air Hawk cushion with varying success the People's seat is not comfortable it's like sitting on the arm of your couch for 10 hours.   When ever you stop for fuel (walk around) spend a couple of minutes walking and drinking water it really helps.

I would suggest any long distance rider take a look at the tips and advice on the Iron butt webb site.   

I wish I had the funds for the cannonball especially since it involves part of my dream ride to Alaska.   Any long distance ride has three things in common 1st. safety you need to stay alive and finish the ride.     2. comfort the greater the comfort the easier and quicker the ride.   3.  Scenery the view is what you will remember 30 years from now.   

Have a great time.   

chucklestx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
My plan of single day 200mile rides has already been upgraded to every other weekend doing 2 days back to back of 150 to 200 miles. I'm not as concerned with the miles as the time in the saddle. I want to get as used to long days back to back as I can. I regularly go out riding during the week on my 150 for 2-3 hours as well, but I would do that even if I weren't prepping for Cannonball.

My goal right now is to try and improve my gas mileage. I am averaging 52mpg @ sea level and roughly the same speeds I expect to do for the event. Being as big as I am I may have to settle for what I am getting. My scoot is essentially being ridden 2-up.

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 01:12:10 AM »
Ibuprofen One with breakfast each day and one at lunch, and how tall are you?  I am right at 6' and have a bad knee hence the scooter to begin with but I also made some cheap rugged and really functional highway pegs for the scooter using the existing floor bolts they are under some rubber caps I bought longer metric bolts and some washers for spacers.  If I can I will add a couple of pics for you to look over I used 1/2" gas pipe nipples and fittings and just screwed them together tight then when fitted how I liked them I tacked the joints with a welder and painted them.   Sure they are kind of trashy  but you could use better materials.    Jim   

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 01:16:08 AM »
Here is another pic of the foot peg raw.  Jim

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()