Author Topic: miles on scooter  (Read 3477 times)

SCOOTER 2290

• View Profile
miles on scooter
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
Was wondering who has the most miles on a 250s. What can I expect before it just falls apart. thanks

jmwood1968

• View Profile
Re: miles on scooter
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »
I don't have a 250 but my S8 150 has 7800. Valve adjustments, oil change, gear oil, spark plugs, air filter is all that's been done to it.
Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:13:19 AM »
It won't fall apart as long as you do periodic maintenance...

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
I have 48000 km on mine, I replaced the stator and the belt and the tires. still runs like a champ. I use mobil diesel oil 15-40 in it. Just keep up on maintenence and fluid changes. remember to change the gear oil and anitfreeze.

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
My (08) 250S has 43,500 miles on it now. 

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »

Good to hear because that is what I just bought.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
I really like these big wheeled scooters.
Could we see a couple pictures of your's?
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:45:49 AM »
 I own a grandvista 250 and I was at the dealer picking up rear brake pads last week and I saw a 2007 people 250 with 26,500 miles on it!  The scoot was filthy and the engine had some oil leaks on the side.  My 2005 grandvista has 12,300 miles on it.
PaulC

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:48:01 AM »
I hope these pics work, the first is the dash last spring.   

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:53:10 AM »
This pic is from a charity ride parked next to the HD's and goldwings. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:01:10 AM »
Wow, nice looking scooter - thanks for the pictures!
Could you tell us about the servicing of your scooter?
Problems, issues to watch for? Pros/Cons - etc. of owning one of these.
I'm hoping to buy one of these some day soon.
Thanks again, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »
Here is a pic from last fall's 1000 mile ride thru north eastern Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas.

The highway pegs were pieced together with galvanized pipe a couple of pieces of flat stock and bolted to frame with existing bolt holes.

The windscreen is a puig still a bit short but? works pretty well.  and the trunk is the cheapest one I could find but it's water tight and still works after 5 years.

The jacket is where I was catching a quick nap.   

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 04:31:52 AM »
Hey Stig;

Could you tell us about the servicing of your scooter?
Problems, issues to watch for? Pros/Cons - etc. of owning one of these.

I really like the People for a couple of reasons I'm tall and it fits me best and I like to tour so it has the ability to handle lots of stuff.

The first issue I had with the People 250S was the headlamp controller I guess they had a batch that weren't up to par the quick access for it is thru the left vent..

I am not the typical scooter owner, I live in the country and for the first three years I rode it on three miles of gravel roads daily, and I ride a lot of highways at speed 75- 80 or WOT so I flog it 90% of the time, and it still lives.  due to great design and build quality. 

The speedometer inner cable twisted off at 15,000 miles (Gravel dust)  I used synthetic caliper disk grease and it's been trouble free since.

I try to change the oil at 500 to 600 miles and use Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil or Mobil 1 4t  and Amsoil 75-90 severe gear lube for the final drive I use a Vet syringe to measure and inject it into the fill hole. 

I didn't care for the short windscreen too much turbulence at highway speed so I added a puig aftermarket I believe I snagged it from Columbia scooters (http://www.columbiascooters.com/product_p/ac_wind_3755.htm)    But at the STO rally last year a guy had a really tall screen it was a puig also and used the mirrors for a secondary mount. 

I added some highway pegs home built from pipe nipples and some flat stock used the existing frame holes in floor board and it has worked great for long trips I'm 6'0 tall and weigh 225 about 50 too much but? 

I re-ringed the engine at 20,000 miles but mostly because of my riding style  WOT. 

During an iron butt ride two springs ago the carb diaphragm tore so I made one from the cuff of a glove and rode it 500 miles home blaming that on new ethanol fuel.

been thru several sets of tires I only run Michelin brand the tire of choice now is the (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28198/i/michelin-city-grip-rear-tire) and the front (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28190/i/michelin-city-grip-front-tire)  The current front tire is the old gold standard it has 21,000 miles on it and it's round with a little tread left, but weather cracking for it's time it's only the third tire including the original Kenda. 

I typically see 12,000 miles from the rear tire.

I am on the third belt and second set of rollers, other than wearing the poor thing out prematurely it should live forever.

My wife bought a Grand vista (06) with 23 miles on it in 2010 and it now has 25,000 miles on it she rides more conservatively keeps top speed closer to 65,  So far she has only had to replace her rollers once and her belt twice, we both have our valves adjusted within 10,000 miles and she did have one part fail a carb choke controller, easy fix and her battery we swapped out for my original one I put a gel bat in and just regular oil changes for her....

The People's handle better in my opinion and fit me better.  But you just can't go wrong with a Kymco scooter if it fits your riding style and needs....     

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

The People's handle better in my opinion and fit me better.  But you just can't go wrong with a Kymco scooter if it fits your riding style and needs...

Thanks for taking time to give your review of these scoots!
I'm 6'3", 250, and fit my LIKE 200i OK after rebuiding the seat so I can sit further back.
My dealer did not have any big wheeled scoots on the floor when I bought my Kymco last spring. He had a doz. maxi scoots, the LIKE's and two 50cc scoots (Vino and Metropolitan), so I came home with the LIKE. Since then I have found a Vespa/ Aprilia dealer and a SYM dealer within 30 miles. Love looking at the Vespas (great looking seats! and colors) and really like the SYM big wheeled HD200.
The LIKE is not a scoot I want to travel over 40MPH on (not at my size and the scoots size) which limits my riding areas. I love the LIKE for commuting daily to work and close leisure rides but am ready for a genuine 60MPH scoot with bigger wheels.
The Kymco People is now a 300....but sure will be looking for a nice People or SYM HD.
SYM seems to have fixed their parts avail. issues.
My dealer is a joke, so doing all the servicing on my LIKE - which hasn't had any issues in 4400 miles.
And I agree about the Michelin City Grips - from advice here I popped those on quickly after buying my scooter.
Well, good luck with your scooters and thanks again, Stig in (snowing again, Ohio)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
Great info.  I adjusted the valves on my Grandvista at about 10,000 miles.  I will probably do it every 5000 in the future as that is my yearly miles.  Also,  I think I will change the oil every 1000 miles.  The longest I went was 4000 miles between oil changes but my average is 2000.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()