Author Topic: 04 super 9 LC no electrical power to main fuse/ign switch/horn/starter  (Read 1690 times)

Money2188

• View Profile
Was driving my scooter one day. Everything worked as it should. Shut it off. Now I have no electric start/no horn/oil lights dont come on when I turn on the ignition switch/no power at the ignition switch/no power at the main fuse.

Also the battery is new and also been load tested good. Battery posts are clean and tight.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Is there a main ground I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:34:58 PM by Money2188 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Battery load tested before or after this electrical failure?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Money2188

• View Profile
Battery was load tested after the electrical issues. Battery checks out good.

Scooter starts and runs great with the kick starter

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
How did you test the power at the main fuse ?

With the Ignition Switch in “On” position, you need to connect the Negative (-) wire on your Multimeter to the Negative (-) terminal of the battery itself.
Then you need to connect the Positive (+) wire on your Multimeter to the one side of the brass fuse terminal to the fuse first, and see if you get a Voltage reading.
If you don’t get a reading - connect the positive (+) wire of the Multimeter to the brass fuse terminal on the other side of the fuse to see if you get a Voltage reading.

Don’t try to get a Voltage reading on the fuse itself - a bad or corroded connection between the fuse  and the fuse terminals itself can easily cause some confusion.

If you don’t get a Voltage reading at the brass fuse connections at all - there is a possibility that the wire connections to the brass fuse terminals are corroded or broken.

In my scooter’s case I exerienced a similar problem - the connection between one fuse terminal and the fuse wire was corroded. When I started fiddling with the wire on that side of the fuse the starter on the scooter suddenly started working again.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Money2188

• View Profile
I was using a test light. One side to the ground on the battery. Other side I checked both sides of the brass on the main fuse. No power at all to either side of it. Connections are very clean.

My guess is a broken wire as I dont think it can be anything else. I'm gonna take a closer look at all those wires.

Was your broken wire inside the loom or right next to where the main fuse connects?

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile

Was your broken wire inside the loom or right next to where the main fuse connects?

The weak link was right at the end of the wire loom where it connects to the brass fuse connection.

I actually printed a small fuse holder for spade fuses with a 3D printer, and installed spade fuses on my scooter. The original brass fuse connectors have been removed completely and brass lugs have been installed to mount the spade fuses.

Compared to the original fuse holders the 3d printed fuse holder takes less space as well.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()