Author Topic: Question about dying motor  (Read 811 times)

CowboyRider94

• View Profile
Question about dying motor
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »
Hey guys.

So last summer I bought an 09 People 250 S that had only been owned by one other person. Last fall I accidentally fried a solenoid on the starter. Got that replaced last week, but that's not the issue anymore. I'm having a problem with my motor dying while on the road. I had it happen to me three times within about a half mile to 3/4 mile drive home this morning. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fuel mixture is running a little too rich causing the engine to get flooded. The engine will start up pretty easy when I hit the electric start but every start has me pumping a little more on the throttle. I have tried turning down the idle speed, and that fixed the problem for about 30 seconds. The dying isn't hard, the engine just slowly sputters out. I wasn't having this problem last fall except for when I ran the motor longer than about a half hour. Would love any suggestions y'all have!

Thanks

ScooterLar

• View Profile
Re: Question about dying motor
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
I had a similar problem with my '06 People 250 shortly after I bought it a few years ago. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump. The bike would just cut out while I was riding at speed, and then coast to a stop. I could restart it, but I'd have the same problem over and over again. Not saying that this is the problem with your bike, but it's worth checking into. To check it, pull your seat and storage bucket off and take a look at the fuel filter (hopefully it's clear) while on the stand and giving it gas. If you don't see fuel pumping into the filter, then that's your problem. Good luck! 
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()