Author Topic: Milage drop  (Read 2281 times)

avgrin

• View Profile
Milage drop
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:16:37 AM »
It got much cooler from 80F to about 40F and the gas milage dropped from about 60 to 50 mpg.  Is it normal?  Should I do some ajustments?
Thank you

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Milage drop
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:20:45 AM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:49:25 AM »
It may help to check your tire pressure. Cold air = lower pressure. Generally with denser outside air a carburetted engine will run leaner. It is POSSIBLE you are losing a few HP due to the cold. jprestonion's chart is showing a similar situation if I read it correctly. Maybe a basic tune up, hitting ALL the service points will bring some of the mpg's back. The only real "adjustment" is for the idle air mix so other than that there is not alot you can do. Another fella here (wordslinger) has been toying w/ warm air induction, If you search keywords you can find the post.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:04:17 AM »
..yeah, and I'm not so much worried about my mpg as I am performance and longevity...

..my little A50 has proven to be one tough son-of-a-gun...

..keep your valves adjusted and you tire pressures where they should be...

..i've found that with my scoot, there is a big difference in air/fuel ratio that coincides with drastic temperature changes...

..the temps where I live may vary 30+ degrees in a single day...itsa battle that i believe i've at least somewhat won for now...

(thanx for the colder plug tip zombie)

...i get by with a little help from my friends..

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:24:12 AM »
Btw, my initial comments on my mileage drop may be inoperative due to mitigating circumstances.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:26:36 AM »
Btw, my initial comments on my mileage drop may be inoperative due to mitigating circumstances.
..wow...checked out that link....serious damages....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 04:06:37 AM »
..wow...checked out that link....serious damages....
Maybe not. I put the caliper back on today (with Loktite, of course), but I was losing daylight and didn't do a very good job of bleeding the circuit, so I've only got about 15% on the back brake for the moment. I'll try to bleed it out in the next day or two and then, with any luck, I'll be right as rain. Otherwise, I'll have to replace or rebuild the caliper, I reckon.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
For some reason I believe you will be Just Fine!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
Still haven't had a chance to bleed the rear brake circuit, but I probably haven't left the house but a couple of times since 1/1/10... sub-freezing temps since then, until today (rare for Nashville -- it's been over 100 years since we've had a stretch this long) have kept me mostly off the scooter. I did venture out the other day for a two-mile roundtrip, but the roads had occasional small patches of ice on them, which I assiduously avoided.

So, no big new news on the scooter front, here. Weather will improve later this week, so it may be time for an adventure.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()