Author Topic: UXV 450i Parking Brake Cable  (Read 1547 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
UXV 450i Parking Brake Cable
« on: April 04, 2022, 03:56:19 AM »
I was using my 2018 UXV 450i this weekend and noticed the end of the manual parking brake cable that attaches to the lever on the dash is frayed. The cable terminates at a barrel connector that interfaces with the black hand lever you use to engage/disengage the brake. Several strands of the cable have broken away from this barrel connector and only a few strands are still holding on.

Has anyone else experienced this and replaced the cable? It runs into a plastic sheath, and my guess is that it runs all the way to the single rear disc brake on the drive axle. However, I could be wrong as I haven't really gotten under the machine to investigate yet.

Curious if anyone happens to know the part number for that cable and how much of a PITA to remove the existing cable and replace.

As fellow owners know, this manual parking brake is very important since putting the machine into PARK on the shifter on any sort of incline makes it virtually impossible to get out of PARK whilst gravity is putting tension on the gears. So, many of us just never use park but instead rely on the manual lever to securely hold the machine in place while stopped on a grade.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll try to add a photo showing the frayed cable tomorrow.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: UXV 450i Parking Brake Cable
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 03:59:04 PM »
OK, looked up the parts diagram online. Pretty sure this is the part.

PARKING BRAKE CABLE- UXV 500/ UXV 700
BRAND: KYMCO
PRODUCT CODE: 43450-LEE8-E00

$32, which isn't bad at all.

Anyone have experience replacing one of these?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 10:00:21 PM »
Your first post says 450i but the part you show is for a 500/700.  Bestvto recheck your part number.....my cable/ actuator became
stuck a couple years back, tapping and lube finally freed it up, loose gravel jammed it up.  Looked into mabey replacing cable if needed, but appears to be a real pita !!!!  Big time !!!!  Your right it is needed and I see alot of taking stuff apart and working from the underside.
Definately no fun, but....like youy said it is needed.  Never saw or heard of your issue before...you just became the lucky one !!!  Keep us posted please.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 12:42:53 AM »
Yeah I know the part says 500/700 but the same part number is listed on the 450 parts diagram.

I'll call my dealer to confirm and also inquire on price of having them do the replacement. My suspicion is that said quote will be many times the cost of the part, prompting me to attempt the repair myself.

As you said, the manual parking brake is very necessary and in this case the cable is definitely mostly broken at the attachment point with the activation lever. It's only a matter of time before the remaining strands give way and the brake fails. So it's going to have to be replaced...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 02:43:15 AM »
If you have the time and patience, I would definetly do it myself, as getting good honest work from a dealer is a crapshoot today.  Really sucks that yours is worn out already!  I do give mine a shot of cable lube every spring when I remove the winter enclosure and get everything ready for the trail riding season.   Let us know how it goes !!!!

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 06:39:09 PM »
OK, so an update on my brake cable. A couple days ago (the last time I used the machine), it finally broke completely. So, not I REALLY need to replace it. FYI: In addition to the cable, there is an electronic sensor that knows whether the brake lever is in the "on" or "off" positions. So, with the cable broken and the lever out, I was getting the warning light and chime that I was driving with the parking brake engaged, even though there was no tension on the cable. Just had to flip the lever back into the closed position and the sensor went out.

I attached a couple photos so you could see exactly where the cable broke. It was right at the interface with the barrel connector that fits into the brake lever.

So, today I called my dealer (Bloomsburg Powersports in Bloomsburg, Pa.) and had him look up the part number. Silence on the line for a couple minutes while he searched. Then, he came back on and said, "We have one in stock. It's $44.75." Beautiful! He's holding the part for me and I'm going to get in there to pick it up soon, but maybe not until after Easter.

Anyway, great to know they've got one. I was afraid he would have to order and I'd be waiting months for it to come in...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 10:22:04 PM »
I with the 2015s had a sensor on the parking brake, more than once I have wondered why I don't seem to have any power, only to discover my parking brake is still on
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
I with the 2015s had a sensor on the parking brake, more than once I have wondered why I don't seem to have any power, only to discover my parking brake is still on

Have done the same thing many times !!  From the pic his appears to be a faulty connection, but...we know what a waste of time that will be for a warranty claim.  There is also an idiot light that comes on, but likevothers...who bothers to look ??

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
something I have learned about warranty claims, my daughter-in-law used to be a claims writer at a couple different dealerships, apparently, there's an art to not getting claims rejected

my local multi-brand dealer has got me new mirrors for my v-strom cause they would slowly get blown out of adjustment if I hit speeds 90mph, but they were ok if I never went over 80
RandyO
IBA#9560

Tyruss22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 06:56:41 PM »
Hey there, currently experiencing the same issue on a customers machine. Their cable has fully snapped as well. I was curious to know what the final part number was that you were given. Thanks in advance for the help!! :D

Tyler

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 01:26:53 PM »
Hey there, currently experiencing the same issue on a customers machine. Their cable has fully snapped as well. I was curious to know what the final part number was that you were given. Thanks in advance for the help!! :D

Tyler

I had to replace mine because it snapped at the handle and what a PIA that is to change, and the tiny parts for the light are in the trash. I don't need a light to tell me why it won't go. :)  Note: hook up at the handle first.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()