Author Topic: Rear Squeak Lube Point I'm Missing?  (Read 2663 times)

Dayooper

• View Profile
Rear Squeak Lube Point I'm Missing?
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
Pretty substantial squeak from the rear end suspension. I had my wife drive it down the path and I could hear it more than the engine. Also loud when trailing. Is there a lube point back there the dealer might have missed? Seems to be from either the sway bar or the suspension. Not when idle, just when suspension depressed. Trying to find a way to post audio as it's really loud.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Rear Squeak Lube Point I'm Missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
One of the few bad things I find on my 450i is the lack of grease fittings. The only two I know are the rear suspension lower pivot arm has a grease fitting on each side and that's about it. Supposedly everything else is sealed. Every so often I use a can of dry lube (PB Blaster) and spray around all and any joints, get the stuff that is Ok for plastic and rubber. It dries so no dust collection afterwards, I really hit the joining parts heavy and it seems to eliminate any squeaks, I do this after washing to help get any water out from between joints and then every so often....my father always said if a little lube is good then a lot of lube is even better!!

Dayooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Took video as was easiest but not meant for visual more audio -

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:44 PM »
   Just a guess here but sounds like a spring squeak. As I mentioned before get a can of spray dry lube and start spraying....not going to hurt anything, just stay away from the brake pads and rear disc. Spray around all the bushings especially the rubber ones. I have been doing this for years even when I had quads, no squeeks, and everything moves freely and who knows it might even stop some rust or corrosion...

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:15:29 AM »
any chance it would be the hydraulic assist for the dump.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:37:54 AM »
   Doesn't sound to me like a gas strut but who knows???  It does sound like a coil spring squeak to me but that is just thru the video. I would still get a can of PB Blaster dry lube and spray the crap out of everything, it won't hurt a thing and might do some good. Mine has no squeaks like that, but when it does make a little noise everything gets a squirt and what ever it is goes away. I would pay extra attention to the pockets where the coil spring sets in, make sure that gets lubed a lot and see what happens. If you try lubing a small area then give it a squeak test, then another area, eventually you will find it, then you can squirt it good.  Keep us posted....

Dayooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
Haven't made a trip to get the pb blaster yet. Will keep you posted.
Dump bed - thanks for suggestion. I took a look and the sound isn't induced by the action of the bed.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 06:08:38 AM »
   Doesn't sound to me like a gas strut but who knows??? 
I have had one of these make a sequel, the shaft was scored.

Boostedgta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 04:38:06 PM »
Mine would squeak really bad and it was coming from where the A arms meet the frame. Spray the lube of your choice on each of those. Worked for mine!

jwad1982

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 11:52:48 PM »
 I had the same problem, sounded exactly like that. Started loosening up bolts then rocking the machine to see if the noise stopped.  Finally found the culprit and anti-seized the crap out of the threads.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
I've had several people ask when was the last time I greased my machine. Even after I take it to dealer for service, it stops squeaking a week or two, then starts up again, some days worse than others 
RandyO
IBA#9560

Willwonka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 01:25:54 PM »
Haven't made a trip to get the pb blaster yet. Will keep you posted.
Dump bed - thanks for suggestion. I took a look and the sound isn't induced by the action of the bed.

Did you ever resolve this? I’ve just bought an MXU500 and it’s doing exactly this noise!
Driving me nuts

Willwonka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 02:07:37 PM »
I had the same problem, sounded exactly like that. Started loosening up bolts then rocking the machine to see if the noise stopped.  Finally found the culprit and anti-seized the crap out of the threads.

What was the culprit?

DaveTJ321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 04:35:19 AM »
Pretty substantial squeak from the rear end suspension. I had my wife drive it down the path and I could hear it more than the engine. Also loud when trailing. Is there a lube point back there the dealer might have missed? Seems to be from either the sway bar or the suspension. Not when idle, just when suspension depressed. Trying to find a way to post audio as it's really loud.

Did you find the source of the squeaking?  Our 2015 450i has the exact squeak in the rear end and I cannot pinpoint it.  The front end also has the squeak as well.  I think it's something with the steering line, maybe tie rod end.  I've greased the rear end and have sprayed penetrating oil in every joint but no success.  I've been considering replacing the tie rod end but haven't found the part online. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()