Author Topic: Set up my Grand Vista with touring seat and new tires.  (Read 6689 times)

Buck40

• View Profile
Set up my Grand Vista with touring seat and new tires.
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
Hi

I bought a 2005 Grand Vista in August 2010.  It only had 1588 miles on it!  Since then I have put on the touring seat and some Michelin Pilot Sport SC tires.

The touring seat works great.  My GV came with the standard seat minus the front back rest and recovered in leather.  I thought I liked that because I could sit back further but I found I need the lower back support on longer rides.  The touring seat works great because it is slightly taller and my knees don't seem to be bent as much while riding.  Also, the scooter handles much better when I sit further forward.  I think the seats are designed to keep the rider forward because of this.  The trade-off is that I can only stand flat footed if I tilt my hips forward on the seat.  I have a 30 inch inseam.  This isn't really a problem, though.

I had some issues with the stock tires, mostly in colder weather.  I live in Michigan.  The tires slipped a few times when I didn't think they should have and I never felt comfortable leaning into corners.  I just had the Michelin tires installed so I have only ridden a few times but they handle much better.  It feels like the scooter leans more naturally when I turn at slow speeds.  Also, these tires grip the road well on the highway.  I used to get some side-slip with the original tires when hit by strong, gusty winds.  The new tires track well and I feel like I can take the wind from the side better.

This is my first scooter and I love it.  It is a lot of fun to ride and will be my main transportation when the roads are not wet or snowy/icy.  I had intended to get only a 125cc scooter because I live next to a business route highway and wanted to be highway legal.  I always tell people I had a good salesman, though, and he sold me the scooter I didn't know I wanted.  It was a better price than the new (smaller) one I was interested in and has turned out to be the perfect scooter for me.  The salesman had no idea Kymco sold a touring seat and told me to bring it down when I get it installed so he can check it out.  Also, I bought the scooter two towns away so it is nice having the only Kymco in my town.

Have fun and ride safe.
Buck40
Grand Vista 250

sic transit gloria

oldcoastie

• View Profile
Re: Set up my Grand Vista with touring seat and new tires.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »
nice report, Buck... good to know about the Michelin Pilots...

how does the touring seat look on your GV?

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
I have the standard seat on my scooter. I have removed the backrest, put it back on and removed it again! I am short and just touch the ground. I am having troubles with the seat. I love the scooter but the seat pushes me forward or downward so I feel as if I am falling off. It sounds like the touring seat is taller so I would have to shave the seat. Has anyone made adjustment to the seats and can show pictures. Any help would be great.

Buck40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
The touring seat looks really weird from the back but looks OK from the front or side.  From the back it looks like the seat bulges up in the middle.  From the side you can see that it is the ten inch tall back rest for main rider.
Grand Vista 250

sic transit gloria

allenquach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
Can you post a picture of how does it looked?
Kymco Grand Vista 250cc 2009
GY6 150cc 2008

Buck40

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
Sorry, I don't have a camera.  I live in the digital stone age, my one concession being a computer.

If you look on the TwistedThrottle.com web site and find the Givi windshield for the Grand Vista, they have a picture of a blue Grand Vista with a leather covered touring seat.  The scooter also has a bunch of other accessories on it that I don't have but you can get an idea what it looks like.  My Grand Vista is white, also.
Grand Vista 250

sic transit gloria

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:20 AM »
Urbestfriend has recently installed the new seat.
Slightly Small, but getting used to it.

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
I have the standard seat on my scooter. I have removed the backrest, put it back on and removed it again! I am short and just touch the ground. I am having troubles with the seat. I love the scooter but the seat pushes me forward or downward so I feel as if I am falling off. It sounds like the touring seat is taller so I would have to shave the seat. Has anyone made adjustment to the seats and can show pictures. Any help would be great.

I have an '09 GV 250, and I got the touring seat. Even though it is a little bit taller, it is softer, and I can put my flat foot down. I couldn't with the stock seat. I don't think you would have to shave the seat down. I have a 28" inseam. And the comfort is definitely worth it!
'09 White Grandvista 250 "Dinky"

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
My girlfriend and I would like to trade in our Agility 125s on a couple of GVs and I would really like to have the touring seat on mine but for her (she is really short) I fear that it would  put her up to high. She likes the GV because the stock seat is closer to the ground than the Agility. Melodys39 your last quote is a little confusing can you please explain. My girlfriend has a 26 inch inseam, what would be best for her.
09 Agility 125

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »
The touring seat is a little bit higher than the stock seat, but it is softer, and so I can actually put my full foot down on the ground. I couldn't do that with the stock seat. I think the Grandvista was made for short people with short legs. I am 5'2", and it fits me great, including the distance to the highway boards. If your inseam is 26", you may not be able to put your entire foot on the ground, but you should be able to put most of it down.

I had a SYM RV250, and a Suzuki Burgman 400 before I got my Grandvista. Even though the seat heights were a little bit lower than the GV, with the touring seat I can reach the ground much better than I could with the other two scooters. And the 359 lb. weight makes the scoot easier to control at stops.

The GV with the touring seat is the best 250cc scoot I have found, and I feel 100% in control. I never felt that with the other scoots.

allenquach

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »
Urbestfriend has recently installed the new seat.
Slightly Small, but getting used to it.

Nice seat. I imagine that I can sleep biking on it. What a queen seat! comfortable though.
Kymco Grand Vista 250cc 2009
GY6 150cc 2008

schuppie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »
Just bought a 2007 GV with 1000 miles on it..My husband is a big motorcycle person, but I just felt more comfortable starting out on a scooter. We are planning a trip from Ohio to Wisconsin--me on the scoot and him on his BMW..Will I be okay taking the GV on this trip??  Miles to our first stop approx. 420.  Then legs will be closer to 200mi. 

I would appreciate any comments on this and/or on the GV in general.  I am so excited to have this scoot, but im pretty new to riding, so any tips and information would be great!!

GO SCOOTS!

2007 GV

kbro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:28 PM »
Like your husband, I also have a BMW motorcycle (K1200LT), but I also have a 2009 GV that is soooo much fun to ride.  I use it commute back and forth to work in Atlanta.  It is quick off the line and will keep up with all traffic except when I'm on the interstate.  I bought the scoot in Alabama and rode it back to Atlanta (about 140 miles).  To be honest, I can't imagine riding 400 miles a day on a 250cc scooter.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but the stock seat and riding position are such that numerous rest stops would be in order.  Plus, I assume you would be at or near full throttle the entire ride to keep up with your husband.  you can expect a range of 120 or so miles between fill ups.  I'd be curious to hear how it goes.

Good luck and congratulations on a great purchase!
2009 Kymco GV 250
2003 BMW K1200LT
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2006 Kymco People 250 (sold)
2002 BMW R1150RT (sold)
1989 BMW K100LT (sold, but still in the family)

schuppie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the info on mileage..We (I) decided after what we rode yesterday, that it would be asking alot for me to make 400miles in one day on the scoot.  Im just not used to riding for longer distances by myself.  We are going to take off Friday night and get as far as we can and then do what's left of the 400 on Saturday.  We have plenty of time as we dont need to make the ferry until 7:30pm.  I am hoping around 200miles will be about right.

I was wondering about the GV on the highway.  So you dont feel it can keep up with traffic?  What is the max you have done on yours?

We will be mostly on back roads of 55mph speed limits.  I was riding pretty comfortably at between 55-65 for a good bit of yesterday with no problems.  It idles pretty loudly though, is this normal?  We havent done any service on the bike yet.  Previous owner had changed the oil recently and it only has 1000 miles.
2007 GV

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
Last August we traveled from Portland OR to Portland ME in 10 days. It did make for some 400 mile days.  :o

I had a great time, but I think it's a little too long in the saddle, even if you have the touring seat. And I agree, having to stop for fuel quite often added on to the travel time. Just my opinion  :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()