Author Topic: Downtown won't start  (Read 1910 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Downtown won't start
« on: March 06, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »
Hey everyone!

It's been while since I've posted here. My 2013 DT isn't starting. I suspect it's the battery but after placing it on a trickle charger and getting a fully charge reading it still fails to turn over. In the process of trying to get it to turn over I fear I may have damage the starter. Lately when I've tried again
on a warm day sometimes there's no activity when I push the start button. 

Nothing.

I press the brake again, give a little gas on the throttle, and then the engine tires to start, but fails to turn over. Today I checked the battery within a digital multimeter and saw a good reading of about 12.75 volts.

If the battery is okay, should I suspect the starter, or look at other possibilities like the spark plug first?

Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Downtown won't start
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 12:34:29 AM »
Hey everyone!

It's been while since I've posted here. My 2013 DT isn't starting. I suspect it's the battery but after placing it on a trickle charger and getting a fully charge reading it still fails to turn over. In the process of trying to get it to turn over I fear I may have damage the starter. Lately when I've tried again
on a warm day sometimes there's no activity when I push the start button. 

Nothing.

I press the brake again, give a little gas on the throttle, and then the engine tires to start, but fails to turn over. Today I checked the battery within a digital multimeter and saw a good reading of about 12.75 volts.

If the battery is okay, should I suspect the starter, or look at other possibilities like the spark plug first?

Wolf
No load battery votage looks really good BUT what is the voltage while cranking? It must be higher than 9.5 volts or you get no spark. I agree it is probably the battery BUT it could be something else.
I have had two identical 2013 DT300i scoots and typical of most Kymco electrical and start systems these are on the edge of being too light in capability.

Verify volts while cranking to start first. At least we can rule it out as a cause and look to plugged injector next.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 02:23:59 AM »

Verify volts while cranking to start first. At least we can rule it out as a cause and look to plugged injector next.

Thanks for the advice. By this I get a reading while trying to start it? The weather’s getting warmer this week, so hopefully this Tuesday I can give it another try.

Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice. By this I get a reading while trying to start it? The weather’s getting warmer this week, so hopefully this Tuesday I can give it another try.

Wolf
Yes. Hook  the volt meter to the battery or convenience outlet and observe what the reading is while it cranks over 3 to 5 revolutions.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
Yes. Hook  the volt meter to the battery or convenience outlet and observe what the reading is while it cranks over 3 to 5 revolutions.

Thanks Karl. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Wolf

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 11:04:23 AM »

I have had two identical 2013 DT300i scoots and typical of most Kymco electrical and start systems these are on the edge of being too light in capability.

Let's open a book.  My money's on the battery being sub optimal, especially if it's more than 3 years old.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 01:46:28 PM »
Let's open a book.  My money's on the battery being sub optimal, especially if it's more than 3 years old.
Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen! The race starts in five minutes! We have the favorite "Battery Babe" on the pole and  "Bad Connection" as the long shot! Place yer bets!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 02:26:08 PM »
Battery.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 04:00:01 PM »
All right the test results are in. Tested the battery while trying to start the bike. The readings ran from 10.99 - 11.95. Looks like my battery isn’t holding a full charging.

Np problem on getting a new one, especially if this is the problem. Any recommendations?

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
All right the test results are in. Tested the battery while trying to start the bike. The readings ran from 10.99 - 11.95. Looks like my battery isn’t holding a full charging.

Np problem on getting a new one, especially if this is the problem. Any recommendations?

- Wolf
No! Those voltages are GREAT if your meter ain't lying to you! Anything above 9.5 volts will produce a spark. It may be a good idea to get a new battery since yours is 3+ years old BUT your volts read while cranking tends to let the battery off the hook.

Personally, my next move would be to pull the spark plug and verify it is sparking. I am assuming you have already checked run/stop and side stand switches and that the tach and speedo and fuel pump do their dance.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »
Personally, my next move would be to pull the spark plug and verify it is sparking. I am assuming you have already checked run/stop and side stand switches and that the tach and speedo and fuel pump do their dance.

For some reason I thought that a rating below 12.0 was bad for a battery. I’m not a mechanic so checking the fuel pump is outside my wheel house, but testing the spark plug seems do-able. What’s required to check it?

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 07:00:23 PM »
For some reason I thought that a rating below 12.0 was bad for a battery. I’m not a mechanic so checking the fuel pump is outside my wheel house, but testing the spark plug seems do-able. What’s required to check it?

- Wolf
No load test of battery fully charged should be 12.6 volts.
Voltage while trying to start a DT300i MUST BE ABOVE 9.5 volts.

- Wolf
Now which?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 07:53:49 PM »
I’ve heard checking for a bad spark plug may just require a visual inspection of the plug. If so, what are the signs of a bad one  - soot, or blackened corrosion? Or are there other methods for testing it?

-Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
I’ve heard checking for a bad spark plug may just require a visual inspection of the plug. If so, what are the signs of a bad one  - soot, or blackened corrosion? Or are there other methods for testing it?

-Wolf
Not yet. Please clear up the voltage puzzle first....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 09:05:39 PM »

If that's a 9 yr old plug in there, I'd swing by your local auto parts store and buy a new one...should be about $7 or $8.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()