Author Topic: New Battery  (Read 1032 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
New Battery
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:10:59 PM »
My battery's dead, so time for a new one. I have the stats for it - YT12A-BS AGM (or correctly me if I'm wrong), but I'm. looking at ordering this particular one -

https://www.batterymart.com/p-YT12A-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html

- as it looks to be the same size as my dead one, which means it will fit into the battery nook under the seat.

If anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears.

Thanks,

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New Battery
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
Do you do much cold weather riding.....freezing or below?
If so, might consider stepping up to a 12 or 14Ah battery.
Yuasa lists the sizes so you can measure and match your battery size to fit your scoot's box.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
Thanks Stig,

If it's below freezing or if there is ice, snow or salt on the roads I tend not to ride. Generally that means my bike's but away from late November to mid December and hopefully back again in lat February.

I found the size I need in the YUSA site. Trying to find a dealer now, or a place to buy online.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 06:03:40 PM »
Thanks Stig,

If it's below freezing or if there is ice, snow or salt on the roads I tend not to ride. Generally that means my bike's but away from late November to mid December and hopefully back again in lat February.

I found the size I need in the YUSA site. Trying to find a dealer now, or a place to buy online.

- Wolf
I usually buy my YUASA batteries from amazon. (they're often shipped from a motorcycle web site)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:35:39 AM »
I ended up doing that too. I called a motorcycle shop near me, but they wanted $91.00 for the same kind of battery. I think that's why Amazon is putting places like them out of business.

- Wolf 

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:07 PM »
Try Batteries Plus.....if no Kymco dealer near.   OEM always seems to work best for me, long haul.....and I do not mind changing out batteries (if I keep bike that long) every 2-3 years as I hate walking....no kick start/bump start scooters make one think.

As I ride daily year round, regardless of where I am, do not have battery problems----as I get older wiser, I tend to keep only one bike at a time, so using bike not problem----at one time in Germany I had 8 registered/running bikes/scooters......real pain keeping them running and clean.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »
I vote no on the "white label" battery you found and Stig beat me to Yuasa. OEM batteries are not nearly as good as Yuasa unless, of course, a Honda which I think comes with them. 50 bucks for a white label is outrageous as the are the cheapest china junk around. I am too cheap to buy a Yuasa and put a "Chrome" battery in mine for less than 40 bucks. They are in Kentucky and deal direct. They are AGM.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »
I'll go with Stig on a YUASA off Amazon.

Buy a dry one on Amazon, & do the initial setup yourself.  You're getting as close to an absolutely fresh battery as you can get.
All you'll need are clothes ya don't love anymore in case you manage to spill a little acid (Hard to do but it could happen) & a charger that does ~1-2amp for the initial charge.

If you do decide to get a "White Battery" you can usually get 'em for $30 or less shipped.
Generally look for one that has good returns as part of their reviews.  You can get an OK battery from those, but you may have to return it a few times, & should probably buy one closer to the active season so you can evaluate and test the given battery while it still has warranty.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »
I would always go for a brand like Yuasa, Katana or Motobatt.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()