Author Topic: For the grandson  (Read 106 times)

wymple

• View Profile
For the grandson
« on: April 22, 2024, 05:43:02 AM »
2 years ago I got him a beautiful little 250 Rebel for a beginner bike.  Only had 2800 girl miles on it. It's a wonderful little devil but the dang kid grew like seaweed and now it looks ridiculously small under him, and we do some 200 mile rides. I wanted something bigger. In a devious attempt to keep him away from sport bikes I wanted a low sear cruiser. I shopped FB Marketplace for Shadows, Intruders, Vulcans, etc.  I had a 600-750 on the brain but this popped up    https://tenwheel.com/view/14442-yamaha_virago_xv1100_1996_model___one_of_the_most_viragos_.html   Not this one, but the same bike.  Old man bought it knew and was quitting. 20K miles, clear windscreen with lowers in blue.  Always garaged, even has LED underglow lighting for the engine. Trailer hitch, bags, front fork pouch, nice rubber, new battery, the works.  All for a lousy 1500 bucks and close to home. Never been dropped. Came with 2 helmets.  He is a lanky 17-1/2 and fits it like a glove.  It's an 1100, but physically no different than the 750. Bigger bore, 10 more HP.  He is in heaven and I am now perceived as God.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: For the grandson
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 12:00:36 PM »
Looks like a canny buy.  Not surprised the Grandson was impressed!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 02:30:39 PM »
Nice bike.
His mother was OK with the purchase?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 01:59:13 PM »
His Mother lives in the real world. Kids are told no on motorcycles most of the time.  So when they turn 18 they go buy a 600 sport bike  & with zero training & zero experience, & no license, the results are never good. And everyone telling them that 750-1000 CC are starter bikes.  He's going to ride whether mom likes it or not, & she knows that. So we started with farm store mini-bikes, went to a 250 Honda Rebel.  Got his permit at 14, done in Iowa, & followed the adults around for 2 years.  Ride safety course as required to get a license.  He is required by ME to wear a helmet, gloves, boots, & jacket. He likes the leather & full face anyway, so no issues. It's about all you can do.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 02:39:45 PM »
Agreed...all one can do.
Took the riding course with my youngest son years ago

Bought him armored head to toe, including the armored gloves.
Hiviz as well. Brake light mods, etc
Helped with a nice docile CB500X.....

Hoping his damned R6 stays broken until I'm gone 🙃
Stig
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 02:43:05 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()