Author Topic: warm-up, rough to smoother progression  (Read 1051 times)

Vanceman201

• View Profile
warm-up, rough to smoother progression
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
My '07 X500 carb. has about 2,200 miles on it.  It was a "test" model I from the headquarters in Spartanburg, SC I bought 14 months ago.  Went on my first longish ride yesterday.  I noticed
something that wasn't as obvious to me last season.
For about the first 15-20 minutes...upon throttle up after a stop--there was some significant vibration
as the clutch, etc...got reved up.  No matter how aggressively I gassed it....same thing.  After 15-20 minutes
it seemed to smooth out nicely. 
Can anybody explain what is happening with the engine/trans/clutch, etc....to cause this to be the case.
Also, as I get more miles on this machine...am I likely to notice any change in all this?
Thanks and hello from Western North Carolina.
Steve
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: warm-up, rough to smoother progression
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
Just a bit of clutch chatter. You can remove it and sand the pads down and rough the inside of the bell
but it will soon return. Best to just accelerate a little harder (to stop it sooner) and ignore it.

I've had mine apart a few times and sometimes it does it after I put it back together and sometimes not.
A little grease in the clutch helps though it's counterintuitive as it needs to bind to engage. Some people
hold their brake on and rev the engine for a bit to sand the clutch pads down a bit it helps for a while...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:03:17 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:46:32 AM »
Yes, sanding helps... I had the same problem before... did all what MotoRandy said and it worked... however, the thing comes back after the scoot sits out in the rain and dries up... my guess is moisture in the clutch bell that turned into surface rust makes it chatter again... but it goes away after a few minutes... I think this is normal in our scooter engines...

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
MotoRandy123 and Vivo...
Thank you very much for your replies with the answer I was looking for.  This is more of
a nuisance than anything...and Vivo's comment that it is something that we scooter owners
need to expect is comforting.  Thanks again.
Steve
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
I agree with all above except for the grease? Never put grease on any part in the variator/clutch area's. Mine does it for a wile after it rains, or when it has sat for a wile, or if is very humid. Ignor it, it will go away for the most part with riding it.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »
Well too good a grease job on the rear pulley let grease fling out into my clutch bell.
Guess what? It ran great! The clutch slipped until locked instead of grabbing and releasing.
There was a post about using boron in the clutch bell. It is a soap like substance and lubes
the bell too. I tried that and it helps too.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
Get grease on your belt or variator and their both toast. If your clutch was made to be wet, Kymco would have told you to grease it? Sorry, but greasing your dry clutch pads is not only wrong, it could distroy your bike. Sorry, but I have to tell the truth hear so he does put grease his pad's. Don't do it!!!! :o

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()