Author Topic: Very hard to start 500 with carb  (Read 829 times)

LeffeP

• View Profile
Very hard to start 500 with carb
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
Hi

I got a 500 with carb, 2006. Its very hard to start when left in a normal temp in the garage, 15 C, during the night. If i leave it out in the cold, about - 10 C here in Sweden now it starts pretty much immediately. And fully warm it also starts as it should. I have cleaned the carb, checked the sparkplug and spark is ok. New battery. Still it feels very slow on the starter, and sometimes almost comes to a stop when starter is running. All cables to the starter is ok.

Once started it runs perfect, stable idle speed and good response on the throttle.

Any ideas on what to check?

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Very hard to start 500 with carb
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »
Bad at 60F but good colder and hotter? That's a strange one! Does it have the electronic choke?
Though it sounds like the battery or electricals are weak but only at 15C..?!?
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
Sounds like it's time for a valve adjustment, .004 inch on both intake and exhaust valves.

You'll have to take off the seat bucket and then the center plastics, remove the spark plug, open the sight panel on the right side, remove the CVT cover and turn the engine to top dead center, open the valve cover and check the valve gaps with a feeler guage.

You'll need someone to press down on the rear end of the scoot for the valve cover to clear the frame for removal, and then again for re-installation.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:55 AM »
Seafoam or stabil and keep tank full. Premium highest octane gas.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()