Author Topic: Checked My Mileage For The First Time *#$@%^^##  (Read 11076 times)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Checked My Mileage For The First Time *#$@%^^##
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »
Diesel cars are UTTER CRAP. Always were, always will be. I would rather WALK or ride on a bus than drive that pile of sh*t.
Overweight understeering tractors.

Things have changed in the last 10 or so years.. a LOT.

Even between the common-rail Mazda that I had and the new Audi, this thing is planted, will not understeer
that easily, or at all (quattro). It doesn't sound like a diesel, there's virtually no vibrations, it won't drop dead
at 3500 revs etc.

And then there's the real wheel drive ones..

Seen the BMW M550d? The M5 diesel?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
This is our new addition. It's a 2.0 TDI with the 6spd DSG. We are happy with it so far. Very torquey and powerful feeling. it's still new to us and only had two fill ups since new so can't comment on fuel mileage. I think she says she got abut 500 miles on the first tank.

That's the engine I mentioned in our Audi, one of the best diesels out there.
Still no BMW though.
 ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
Things have changed in the last 10 or so years.. a LOT.

Even between the common-rail Mazda that I had and the new Audi, this thing is planted, will not understeer
that easily, or at all (quattro). It doesn't sound like a diesel, there's virtually no vibrations, it won't drop dead
at 3500 revs etc.

And then there's the real wheel drive ones..

Seen the BMW M550d? The M5 diesel?

Couldn't care less.

I drove enough (unfortunately) diesel company cars to hate every bit of them. On top of everything, I have to drive them usually for 1200 km round trip and I hate everything about them.

That A4 you mentioned is complete and utter shi*. I had the misfortune to drive also more powerful versions (143 and 170 hp). Last time I had to drive A3 and I almost started screaming when I realized that (we always have new rentals, usually around 5.000 kms on the tacho).

Ditto for Opel's 150 hp tractors. On top of everything, that casket had "Tiptronic" gearbox. I swear it is downright dangerous to try to drive that sh*t through corners, either in manual or auto mode. It will switch to higher gear in the middle of the freakin` curve.

"Planted" story can be told to those who do not know how proper car handles. Sure it is planted, with the front end in understeer.

Did I mention I couldn`t care less how much fuel it consumes if it handles AND accelerates? So called "kick" is a fairy tale because they readily accelerate slower than gasoline cars. I know the "elasticity" fairy tale too - could not care less also about 60-120 in 6th gear. I do not want 1400 kg 150 hp car with extra 100 kg over front axle unless I am ploughing the field.

p.s. "M5 diesel" just shows sad state of affairs and that the consumers are on the average -idiots. I will never understand people who shell out that kind of money for DIESEL car.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:22:38 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
I will never understand people who shell out that kind of money for a DIESEL car.

i know what you mean, hear in britain people buy diesel cars because they think its "cheaper" to run when in actual fact you may as well have got a petrol. diesel is so expensive over here that yes you may get more miles but ultimatly you pay far more for those "extra miles" when you could have slightly less miles from a petrol car but you will be paying less for fuel. all in all they break even, its either spend more on fuel and get more "miles" (diesel..personaly i cant see the point) or spend less on fuel but get very slightly less miles (petrol)

OR even better sell the car (wether it be a petrol or diesel) and get a scooter.......thats what i did  ;D
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »
i know what you mean, hear in britain people buy diesel cars because they think its "cheaper" to run when in actual fact you may as well have got a petrol.

Exactly. However, most people are completely unable to see that break even point is well above amortization point of the car, above 300.000 kms or never, for premium brands.
Car manufacturers have used this situation and sold them immensely complex cars that break down regularly (take a look at any "diesel" forum).
This idea has been successfully sold in Europe. In Asia, diesel cars are still, a rarity, partially due to low fuel quality.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
we pay $7.60 for a US gallon...........................

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Sounds like there are some here that are familiar with gas vs diesel so I'd like to ask...again..only asking because I don't know...I had a gas operated pick up and pulled a trailer with it and it was struggling therefore traded and went to a 3/4 ton diesel. Yes, the 3/4 ton was bigger engine etc. but also it had much more pulling power. Is there a difference in gallon for gallon gas/diesel burn as for power. Most all tractor trailers use diesel and all this conversation has me wondering  about gas per power vs diesel per power. I found it true about one here who mention about mileage using diesel vs gas and when we figured out the value of diesel it wasn't what we thought since we paid anywhere from 50 to 85 cents more a gallon for diesel. I don't know about now but when I was in the service, all the vehicles I knew off used gas. Probably more readily available?? I always thought the diesel engines had less parts or whatever and therefore weren't as prone to break downs..again, I used the work "thought".

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
Couldn't care less.

I drove enough (unfortunately) diesel company cars to hate every bit of them. On top of everything, I have to drive them usually for 1200 km round trip and I hate everything about them.

That A4 you mentioned is complete and utter shi*. I had the misfortune to drive also more powerful versions (143 and 170 hp). Last time I had to drive A3 and I almost started screaming when I realized that (we always have new rentals, usually around 5.000 kms on the tacho).

Ditto for Opel's 150 hp tractors. On top of everything, that casket had "Tiptronic" gearbox. I swear it is downright dangerous to try to drive that sh*t through corners, either in manual or auto mode. It will switch to higher gear in the middle of the freakin` curve.

"Planted" story can be told to those who do not know how proper car handles. Sure it is planted, with the front end in understeer.

Did I mention I couldn`t care less how much fuel it consumes if it handles AND accelerates? So called "kick" is a fairy tale because they readily accelerate slower than gasoline cars. I know the "elasticity" fairy tale too - could not care less also about 60-120 in 6th gear. I do not want 1400 kg 150 hp car with extra 100 kg over front axle unless I am ploughing the field.

p.s. "M5 diesel" just shows sad state of affairs and that the consumers are on the average -idiots. I will never understand people who shell out that kind of money for DIESEL car.

Most people will never ride the way you (or sometimes I) do, so they won't notice any of that stuff, and it's down to minumum compared to 10 years ago.
80% of people use their cars to get from A to B, and are worried only about the expense of it.
But then again, 98% of people...
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:46 PM »
Mama hated diesel so bad
I guess I knew it had something to do with dad
The first time I seen her cry
Was when one of them things went by
Mama hated diesel so bad
Albuquerque, New Mexico

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
Most people will never ride the way you (or sometimes I) do, so they won't notice any of that stuff, and it's down to minumum compared to 10 years ago.
80% of people use their cars to get from A to B, and are worried only about the expense of it.
But then again, 98% of people...

... are idiots.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
Yeah.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »
cut a long story short:-

Petrol cars:
Power from the moment you put your foot to the floor
dosnt feel like your driving a boat down the road
more responsive throttle
makes less noise

Diesel cars:
tonnes of torque when foot goes to floor..torque runs out..no more power..change gear..start again
steer the wheel and maybe the front will start going in the direction you want it to
soggy throttle with little or no 'feel'
rumbles and makes a scene

nuff said lol

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
cut a long story short:-

Petrol cars:
Power from the moment you put your foot to the floor

So.. you never driven a Honda with vtec, I take it.. ?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
no but i did beat one when i had a toyota corolla 1.3 12v

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 03:46:37 AM »
not that I am going back on topic or anything... :p

But My 2010 x500 still gets over 51 MPG after 4000 miles on it ^_^v
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

An Error Has Occurred!