Author Topic: About The Front Shocks  (Read 3439 times)

Syl

• View Profile
About The Front Shocks
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
How are the front shocks to react when hitting the brakes? I ask this for this reason to know how solid they are supposed to be. If you are moving just barely into a parking area like just pulling up a bit for example and you apply both brakes tightly and the bike dips forward on the shocks and they go all the way down till you feel the  shocks bottom out...is this the normal reaction of the shocks to run their full distance? Again, as another man stated, I am 240-250 6'1" so I am not light. As far as mileage, I have but 875 miles on my unit. By the way... I have used nothing but 93 octane fuel at the pump and so far no problems running. I know this is another topic and I dont wish to start it here!

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: About The Front Shocks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
You have to be low on fork oil or it would not bottom out. I would take it to a dealer to have them top it off and check for leaks. It may have not been filled correctly at the dealer/importer. :(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
Agreed... You are running on spring tension alone. You should Not be able to fully compress the forks.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Thanks, going to have it checked today...knew nothing about that till you guys posted about it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
By changing quantity, and oil weight you can tune the forks the way you like. They should never bottom out tho.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »
I would think that if the springs are the right strength for your weight, the shocks shouldn't bottom out even if there were no oil.  But replacing springs can get a little pricey and complicated.  If it were me, I'd find out the stock oil weight and replace it with something a little heavier and see if that does it.  There's a good chance that the oil in there is completely worn out anyway.  This way if you do eventually replace the springs, you'll at least know exactly how much good the springs do.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:23 PM »
I think his bike is almost new? Maybe none was put in? Or not nearly enough? :-\ :-*

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:12:41 AM »
I think his bike is almost new? Maybe none was put in? Or not nearly enough? :-\ :-*

You're right.  875 miles.  Pretty much new.  Maybe he lives in my neighborhood?  Roads here could wear out the springs and oil in a hurry!  Probably not that fast, though.  I'd check the seals and hope the oil was low from the factory.  At 875 miles it should be under warranty though, right?  And for 240-250lbs, stiffer springs all around may be beneficial.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:10:38 AM »
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/id2.html   You can also buy shims or tube spacers for the existing springs.   
http://vx-faq.thevuelta.com/vx800_FAQ-07.html   Just some long winded read about spring/fork/oil interaction.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »
Went to service, man checked the scooter somewhat with start and quick stop but couldn't produce what I said I felt several times. They are not very familiar with shock action but did state that if they are to be serviced, "much has to be taken apart to get to them. His bottom line, didn't really feel anything has to be done with them. Further, said, there has to be some shock action and as long as not bottoming out all the time, it will be ok. So....I have to go with that and wanted to pass that on here.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
The forks on the X500 feel different than those on a bike as there is less weight on them as engine is in rear. I think your feeling the same jolt I get on mine? The forks work fine, but when I hit a bump, it feels as if there are no springs & or are way to stiff. You will get used to it. Also Kymco recommends about 26 pounds of air in the front tire. I run mine at maximun, around 32 lbs so the tire will last at it's longest. Try 26 lbs. This may make a huge difference. :-*

vmax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
Agree. Put 1.8 bar in front and now it works much smoother.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »
If it feels like it bottoms out at parking lot speeds, but doesn't do it when you hit the brakes hard at 30 or 40mph - then you may be feeling something other than the forks bottoming out. 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:23 PM »
Maybe the head bearings are loose?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()