Author Topic: Variator update  (Read 1625 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Variator update
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
Put bike on trailer. My mechanic zipped the var & clutch nuts off in about 20 seconds. Got home removed clutch, had to clean up some old belt strings wraped around pulleys, but splines clean and in good shape. Clutch pads look good for 28,000 miles. Removed variator, oh my God. Bush in ok shape, but inner pulley half was ob-long if not egg shaped inside where it slides back and forth on bush. I have no idea how it worked at all? Rollers were flat on one side, (all 6). They slid, not rolled? Var is completely shot!. But splines look good. Got new variator friday. Should get belt Mon-wed. Will clean up, put together, & I hope to be good to go? One question? Should I put a very small amount of hi temp grease on splines? They are dry. It can't really come out as the splines are covered all the time. Suggestions?  :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Variator update
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »
" They slid, not rolled? Var is completely shot!. But splines look good. Got new variator friday. Should get belt Mon-wed. Will clean up, put together, & I hope to be good to go? One question? Should I put a very small amount of hi temp grease on splines? They are dry. It can't really come out as the splines are covered all the time. Suggestions?"
Think about it. You can not roll something on both sides at once... One surface will roll wile the other is going in the opposite direction of the intended travel. That is the nature of them. Sliders dont have that issue that's why they last longer. Dont use grease anywhere else but the boss. You may want to use blue locktight as the OEM "captive" nut is a single use part. It will "lock" ONE time. That is why OEM they appear sooooo tight.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:29 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the splines, Sissy.  Nothing slides or moves on the splines.  However, when I was putting my new var on, it was such a tight fit on the splines it hardly would go on.  To the point of chipping tiny aluminun bits off the inside splines of the var.  Now that it's been on and off a few times it doesn't do that anymore.  I did wind up putting some graphite powder on my splines just to help that, though it didn't help.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »
Yep

Avoid any excess grease inside the transmission. Like zombie said, the only thing that needs a little grease is the V boss.

BTW. You can get an electric impact wrench from harbor freight with an extended warranty pretty cheap. Just something to think about.

I'll never take my scooter/s to a mechanic or dealer again.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »
I bought that exact impact wrench at harbor freight last year. I will use it to put everything back together. Question, I bought a used variator that has about 3,800 miles on it. Should I grease the boss since it has already been broken in? And with what grease? Hi temp wheel bearing grease? :-*

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
That's fine, just a light coat on the boss.

Be careful not to over tighten the variator nut. Doesn't need a whole lot of torque. Also find something to hold the variator pulley as to not violently spin the engine backwards :-\. I use my foot.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
Should I put grease on the boss since it has been broken in already at 3,800 miles? :-\ :-* And can blue lock tight handle the temp's that build up under the var & clutch housing? :-\ :-*

superseagulls

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
I bought that exact impact wrench at harbor freight last year. I will use it to put everything back together. Question, I bought a used variator that has about 3,800 miles on it. Should I grease the boss since it has already been broken in? And with what grease? Hi temp wheel bearing grease? :-*

Steady on! NEVER do nuts / bolts back up with an impact wrench, there is a good chance that you could snap the bolt, and you don't want that in a crank, an expensive fix!
Use a torque wrench, or just snug it up with a 'bit for luck' if you haven't got access to torque wrench!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:28 AM »
Yes, and yes
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()