Author Topic: Rattleling noise on my Xciting 500  (Read 3848 times)

scooter65

• View Profile
Rattleling noise on my Xciting 500
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
Annyone ever experienced this problem?  I have an Xciting 500 and just started experiencing a strange issue with a rattling noice seemingly coming from the engine housing.  Actually took a motorcycle training course yesterday with lots of starts, stops, breaking, swirving, and cornering.  Doubt that had anything to do with it but it started right after that.  It's a 2009 bike with only about 4,000 miles on it.  THe noise sounds like the plastic housing encasing the engine is loose and rattling.  It only happens a very slow speed, 10mph.  As I speed up it smooths out.  At idle it is smooth and quiet.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm a pretty new ridder and not very mechanically inclined but I'm sure it didn't have such a rough start a slow speeds when I got the bike a couple of months ago!
Thanks, Scooter65

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
Re: Rattleling noise on my Xciting 500
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:51:32 AM »
... sounds like the infamous "Elephant Trumpet" from the drive belt slipping around the variator pulley at low RPM.  I've seen references to it here, and  I have it, too.  Also about 4,000 miles on my 2009 500Ri.  Seems most people just live with it until the specs say to change the belt.  Of course, if it shreds and seizes ... well ...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »
I would also guess it's some part of the CVT (constantly variable transmission) making the rattle.  Some rattling and squealing out of there is normal as they get more miles on them but if it's pretty loud or if you can actually feel it in your ride I'd take it to a dealer and have it checked out.

The squealing noise, if you have that, is from the clutch and is not serious.

Minor rattling is from the variator, due to wear, and is also not serious.   

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
I have seen this thread few days ago, today I have replaced the belt on my P250S, used the belt with the same dimensions as OEM and now I have flapping noise?!?

Take a look at the last paragraph.

WTF?!?

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=554.msg46131#msg46131
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

scooter65

• View Profile
Re: Rattling noise on my Xciting 500
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone's imput on my Xciting 500 rattling noise.  Actually took it to the dealer yesterday and had a detailed inspection of the whole CVT system, belts, pullys, etc.  Nothing was found wrong.  The shop Supervisor/Tech checked it out with a test drive.  Don't fully understand his entire explanation but it makes sence.  He said since there was nothing mechanically wrong with the system that this was the problem.  He explained the pully system to me saying that at low rpm/speed the belt was having a hard time grabbing the pully making a rattling sound.  So this is what he did.  In his words he "glazed" the system/belt by starting full throttle from a dead stop, in other words playing dragster.  I think he did this several times.  Not being very mechanical as I am I'm not sure how this "glazed the belt but whatever he did it worked, the rattling noce is gone!  Thanks again for everyone's imput.  I really enjoy this Kymco Forum.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
That's great, scooter65!  Glad to hear your mechanic knew what to do.  That's experience for you!   ;)  Now I think I'll go do some full throttle starts on mine!   ;D

scooter65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »
Well I'm back.  The day after I had the service tech check CVT belts etc. and use full throttle starts to remedy the slow starting 0-15mph rattling noise, the noise and rattling came back.  Scooter feels like a manual transmission car trying to start off in 4th gear instead of 1st, chugging, vibrating, etc!  Could my xciting 500 scoot with about 4500 mi need a new CVT belt?  Once rpms and speed are up 25mph+ smooth as silk.  Power at higher speed don't seem to be effected at all.  Any thoughts from anyone?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()