Author Topic: Ordered Dr Pulley Clutch and sliders  (Read 6201 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered Dr Pulley Clutch and sliders
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 02:18:39 AM »
That will make a difference on the travel. It's the same thing they do to restrict the smaller engines. It MAY be there for allowing a different belt to be used?!? Sort of a ps, I always trust the exploded view drawing MORE than the manual too. The service manual is made for us, and the drawing is made for the dealer to find the parts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Putting the variator back on I asked myself what that washer between the pulley faces is for?

..wtf??

..never heard of that on a big scoot...

..if you remove it, get a longer belt....

..and then begin tuning your cvt all over again....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 03:03:24 AM »
Got it all together this afternoon.  I chickened out and left the washer in for now cause I wanted a good comparison test ride with the new sliders and clutch as stock as possible. And cause I'm just chicken.  The ride is nice and smooth for sure.  The old rollers or slide pieces must've been the source of much of the clickety/clanking I'd been hearing cause with the new sliders and slide pieces it's much quieter and that growling/howling from the old clutch is ALL GONE. The old rollers were not flat spotted.  The new slide pieces hold the ramp plate and pulley nice with no slop like the factory ones.

The performance is good: I have to rev motor quite a bit higher to get moving but somewhere up the mph range it settles down and I think revs are a little bit lower at highway speed.  Need more time to tell -- I only rode 5 miles.  Clutch action is nice and smooth with no jerks or bumps.

I got a couple of different thickness shims to put under the big spring (is it the torsion spring?)  No instructions or guidance as to what they're for so I left em out for now.  Also got at least a couple sets of different clutch shoe springs for tuning. 

Got very briefly to 140 kph with no problem like Drifter mentioned.  Gimme a week or two to find time to go where I know of a nice straight stretch of highway for a real high speed run.

Oh, and I think I'll locktight the clutch and variator nuts first too. Good idea? Bad idea?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 03:42:06 AM »
Oh, and I think I'll locktight the clutch and variator nuts first too. Good idea

..i just love a good success story....

..love to see the big bore scoots get mods too!!

;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Those shims are for the torsion spring. they will adjust the pre-load on the clutch pulley. The more pre load the longer it will hold a particular range at a given rpm. If you want lower initial rpms you can leave the shims out of the spring. if you add shims, this will hold the higher gear ratio longer to get more pep out of the low/mid range. The draw back would be higher fuel consumption. The advantage is reducing the shudder in the clutch as you have seen. I find every scooter clutch will shudder if you roll the throttle to the point where the pads contact, but are not yet grabbing. Most of the Supper Scooter riders are having this trouble because they are babying the scoot on take off. Hit the throttle like it owes you money.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »

Hit the throttle like it owes you money.

..ain't that standard operating procedure??

...i do...

;D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
Let's talk about this a little more guys, if you please, cause I think I'd like to tune it just a little bit differently.  I think this higher rev take off doesn't take advantage of the great low end torque the 500 has.  And I don't think the initial take off is quite as good as with the stock set up, though it may be my imagination.  For instance, it doesn't seem as easy to crawl along in bumper to bumper traffic as when stock. I mean I really gotta pour the gas to it to get going and then it's not as -- I don't know how to say it -- peppy?  controlable? in the 1 to maybe 6 or 8 mph range. 

Let's say I'm gonna stay with these 31g. sliders, then the tuning will have to be in the clutch or torsion spring.

But first consider this.  Thinking more about taking out that washer between the variator faces; If the belt rides a littler higher in the variator -- won't it just ride a little lower in the rear pully?  Wouldn't the only limiting factor or danger be that the belt would run out of room at the bottom of the rear pulley at absolute top speed? 

I can always go to weaker clutch springs too, right?  Also, there is one big washer on the torsion spring which I don't think HAS to be on it, even though Dr. Pulley's diagram shows it there and I put it there.   

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
I don't have much experience with cvt transmissions, but from what I have done with my zx50, I think lighter clutch springs would give you more low speed driveability, a lighter torque spring would also improve it. By removing the washer you mentioned may give the result ynu are after. The only wax to find out which would best suit what you are after is to try each a step at a time.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 02:33:26 AM »
Took it to 155 kph or better today -- smooth as glass and no problems with sliders.  Was still climbing eagerly when I backed off. 

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
good for you hoolander! I am still having problems with mine so i am thinking of getting the malossi variator. Has anyone tried it?
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:22 AM »
drifter, did you see my post where I discovered my ramps were not machined right?  Or shall I say, not machined right for "sliders".  I could guarantee you my sliders would've bound up at speed if I hadn't dremeled the ramps.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
my sliders go up and down smoothly on the ramps.

installed a malossi pulley today  like the accelaration but not yet tested on top speed. then again it comes with 20gram rollers so i think dr. pulley sliders is still practical and much cheaper. i think you would get the same results if you install 20g or 25g sliders.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 02:28:01 AM »
Aw, gee, and here I though I was helpin beat that problem.  :(  I'll be keeping a sharp eye and ear out for that slider problem to crop up still then. 

Good luck with the Malossi!  Keep us updated on it! 

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 03:42:08 PM »
noticed the side wall of the stock pulley has a rough finish so sanded it till it was smooth. Rode it for about 180km but mostly it was uphill and didn't had a chance to top it but when i checked it after sliders was ok and didn't turn. Thanks for the tip hoolander! Will try it on the tollways this sunday.

About the malossi pulley. Take off is a lot smoother but at higher rpms. Timed the 0-100kph 10-11sec and to 150 is around 20. (indicated speed)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()