Author Topic: Ordered Dr Pulley Clutch and sliders  (Read 6203 times)

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered Dr Pulley Clutch and sliders
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
keep us updated on thoose 31g sliders. i am having problems with the sliders after doing 140kph plus runs. this is my 2nd set of sliders. have a friend who also installed 31g sliders, he is also having the same problems.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
I'll sure update as I get on with this, drifter.  What kind of probs are you and your friend having?

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »
when doing city driving they work well but when you reach 140kph plus you will notice a loss on accelaratin or torque and when you check on the sliders they are tilted/rolled. Both of us are using 31g. 1st i thougt it was the sliders so i ordered a new set, same thing hapenned maybe it was the back plate so changed it too! Ended up replacing back plate, pulley, half pulley but still the same problem. Btw. What clutch did you get, the old or the new kind?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:35 AM »
Didn't know there was an old and a new kind, drifter.  I got what they call the HiT clutch, is all I know.  It all got here a couple days ago, and yes, I'm stoked!  I'll sure be watching out for that problem you describe.  In fact, that's kinda scary.  Guess it'd be wise to take it real careful up to or above that speed. 

I also got what they call the slide pieces for the variator.  Three little plastic pieces. 

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 04:10:48 AM »
i think the older version has 3 clutch pads and the newer has 4.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 02:21:41 AM »
This has 4 pads.  Gonna be really busy this week so don't think I'll get around to putting it all in till next at earliest.  Ordered a Gates belt at local auto shop for around thirty bucks plus shipping.  I went on the Gates site and looked it up with their cross reference thingy using the kymco #.  Then used their distributor locator.  One local store didn't offer to order it for me.  The other one did. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 04:06:04 AM »
I hope you went for the Power Link belt... It is their Kevlar version. The part # starts w/ PL.......
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »
Yep, it starts with a PL.  So today I took the variator off to put the sliders in.  Checking the fit I notice that one ramp is not machined correctly or something cause the new slider doesn't slide well at all in that ramp.  Out came the dremel for a little shave of the side walls of that ramp in two small areas. 

Also, checking all the fits further, I notice that all the ramps are too tight up near the top and none of the sliders will slide all the way up. At least not and stay well seated in the ramp. In other words, they bind badly when nearing the top.  This may be the cause of some people's problems.  Dremel again and now they slide perfect bottom to top.  :)  I got a polishing wheel I'll use now to smooth it all up.  Also may hand sand with fine wet/dry paper.

Question.  I don't have a clutch compressor.  Has anyone used big C clamps to do the job?  Any other do it yourself ways to dis and assemble the clutch to its' pulley?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 04:46:45 AM »
Chinese scooter compression spring change 50 cc   The kid is a little over the top w/ the screwdriver, but you get the idea.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
I agree with you zombie, no need for the screwdriver. When I first opened the clutch I was worried about it flying so I was going to make a compressor, but after giving it a try I found it was no big deal. I used one of those folding D.I.Y.tables that act as a vice and clamped the clutch in it while I loosened the nut then put it on the table and held it down with my hands while my wife removed the nut. I would have no qualms about doing it solo if I needed to. :)
P.S. not the sort of music I normally listen to, but that tune was kind of catchy.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
I noticed that he did not show how to put it back together!  :D  I like most people do not have problems pulling things apart, but trying to get anything with springs in it back together causes some problems..... zingggggg  ohhh now where did the spring go...

awwww sid... now I know why you call yoursellf a the sloth..... marriage is scary for the reason of wives removing our nuts  :o :'(

sorry can't resist  ::)  :D ;D
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
It's ok mate, I was waiting for something like that. :)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 01:57:35 AM »
Putting the variator back on I asked myself what that washer between the pulley faces is for?  I fit it all up and notice with the washer in, the outer pulley half doesn't line up with the outer half of the clutch pulley.  With the washer out, it does.  I'm thinkin to myself, hmm, this might be just a restriction thing.  Like to keep the top speed down a little. 

I'm thinking of leaving it out and test riding.  Anyone know if that's what it is?  Or anyone left it out? 

On the clutch work, I'll have to get some much bigger clamps before I can disassemble it.  I got some big enough to hold it all while loosening the nut but not big enough to then slowly open em up to let the pressure off.  Anyway, I thought I'd see how tight the nut was on the clutch and, WoW, I couldn't budge it with my big channel-locks.  Will have to get a big 49 or 50mm wrench (maybe the Kymco one) to get it loose. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:48 AM »
Can you post up a pict. of the washer deal? There should be none between the pulleys... I use an adjustable wrench for the nut on the clutch. I just wack the end w/ a mallet to "break" it loose

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:11:41 AM »
Yep, I can take a pic.  But get this -- in the service manual picture it shows the washer going in.  But in the parts catalogue exploded view, it AIN'T there.  It's just a washer that goes up against the boss and keeps the outer pulley half positioned further out.  AND, I can see the belt has never ridden to within a quarter inch of the top of the pulley.  Of course I guess that could mean nobody's ever topped this scooter out.  I know I haven't -- yet.   ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()