Author Topic: Cold start problems on People 50 2T  (Read 7920 times)

Clifhirtle

• View Profile
Cold start problems on People 50 2T
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
I have a 2009 People 50 2T derestricted but no additional mods. New spark plug. Clean air filter. But being in New England as soon as the weather gets cold the damn thing refuses to start up. Is there something specifically that I should be checking related to choke or cold start circuit on this thing? Did notice that the clock battery went dead the other day but don't think that has anything to do with the start.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cliff

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
Re: Cold start problems on People 50 2T
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
Sounds like you might need a new battery.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:01:45 AM »
Man Peoples just don't like cold weather. I'm convinced of it. Especially in stock form. I bought mine new in 2010 and it's always been cold blooded. And I live in NC! I remember several times I could not get my people started right after I bought it. The colder the weather and the longer it sat it just bitched and moaned even more. For example just a mid 30s morning and hasn't been started in 5 days it would struggle.

That damn auto-choke sucks. That's part of the problem. There is a procedure for checking the auto-choke in the manual I believe. If not search zombies threads. He mentioned it several times. Might be worthwhile or might be nothing wrong with it.

Other than that I can offer you a few tips.
First off, on cold mornings use the kick start instead of electric. The starter draws a lot of power. Power the ignition needs on a cold morning.
Second, do not touch the throttle. It's counter intuitive I know. But from my experience it just makes things worse.
Third is, try putting a cap full or two of Seafoam in the tank every fill up. Will keep the gas loose and fresh.
Fourth is start putting some mods on that thing. Open her up. She can't breathe! Seriously, every mod I've done has made it easier to start. By far the thing that improved it the most is the Dellorto carb with a manual choke.

Two strokes are strange, fascinating creatures. I own a couple 2 stroke scooters and a couple 2 stroke quads. I love 2 strokes but I've learned they like to be ran periodically. Some more than others...  ;)  I've gone 2 months without starting my Yamaha Blaster and had it start on the first kick. Other times I let it sit and it doesn't even want to try without wearing my leg out. So I guess my last tip would be to just start it at least once a week. Hope this helps  :)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »
Whatever you do, do not use any starting fluid....  Instead, use premix in a squirt bottle... squirt some in your carb before starting...not too much tho...  this might help

Clifhirtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
That's really helpful context Peters! I have definitely tried starting it using the kick starter, but don't usually have any luck until it's already started by the electric start. Am also considering a big bore kit install this winter, likely a malossi as I read some folks having to grind down parts to fit on the airsol ones, which is just not something I have any interest in doing. I want bolt and go! Frankly the only thing that's kept me from starting tomorrow is the thought of having to rejet the carb, as it appears there's quite bit of experimentation needed to get it right. Exhaust is likely out since I can't afford sounding like a 2 stroke motorcross bike in a major city. I've also heard that you need to start pre-mixing because the built-in oil injection system will not handle with the big port kits. Anyway all of that is for a different topic!

@vivo: what is wrong with starting fluid? In times when the scooter won't start any other way that appears to be the only way I can get it running.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
Malossi kits are great. I just checked my rings and cylinder walls after about 9,000 km and there was virtually no visible wear. I did do it right though. Pulled the shaft out of the oil injector, running premix, 19mm carb, and definitely had to play with the jetting. You certainly can keep the stock exhaust but an aftermarket pipe with an expansion chamber really compliments a BBK. Post... 2006, I think, Kymco exhaust is really restrictive. I have a Tecnigas Next R pipe and it is definitely louder, but it's not that bad. I have the stock air box with some holes in the lid. An open air filter really makes things loud so you might want to steer away from that.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
When my P50 2T is hard to start, I place my hand over the air inlet and restrict airflow (choking it). It usually starts right up then.
Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50 2T
03 Honda Metropolitan 50 (SOLD)
11 Kymco Super 8 50 (SOLD)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:05 AM »

@vivo: what is wrong with starting fluid? In times when the scooter won't start any other way that appears to be the only way I can get it running.

Starting fluid is pure fuel and does not have any lubricant... best only for four stroke engines.... Two stroke engines use fuel and oil mixture... you can damage your two stroke engine if you frequently use starting fluid to start your engine... that's why I suggest a premix... Or if you can find a starting fluid specifically for two stroke engines...

Clifhirtle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:53:02 PM »
Good to know. Thanks Vivo. That makes a bit of sense though I would suspect that once the engine catches it would begin running off the premix as usual, no?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 02:37:17 AM »
Good to know. Thanks Vivo. That makes a bit of sense though I would suspect that once the engine catches it would begin running off the premix as usual, no?

Yes, but I emphasized the word "frequently" using starting fluid... maybe once is enough... or two? how about three?  Remember, most of the wear and tear happens during the starting of the engine... any engine... where oil is absent... more so, with a 2-stroke...

Clifhirtle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
You guys are awesome! Had not started the scoot in nearly a month of sub-40 degree weather and @climbamt that covering the airbox inlet trick worked like a charm! I am now keeping a $2 roll of duct tape in the trunk so I can cover the air intake when cold and start her right up. This scoot's got 7k+ miles too so it's no spring chicken. I'll keep testing this and posting back here with other things I find but a big thank you to you guys for the tips. This may be just what I need to get off that emergency starting fluid diet too.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()