Author Topic: Oil (again)  (Read 4181 times)

Cardie

• View Profile
Oil (again)
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
Been rooting through the garage today and I found some 10W40 Semi Synthetic Oil. Would this be okay to put in my scooter?

Ive got no idea what the oil thats in the scooter now is, but in the manual it says it should use 15W40.

Does mixing Semi Synthetic and other types of oil cause any sort of damage or is it perfectly safe just to top my ped up with this 10w40 Semi Synth?

Cheers :)

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: Oil (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
I think I have read on the forum here that folks use the 10w40 with no problems and many folks use synthetic oils. I never liked mixing any fluids. With not knowing what is already in the scoot, If I had the patience, space, ability, etc. I would probably just change the oil out so I would know all was well when I topped up with the same brand/kind later. Definitely go with one that you can find easily.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Been rooting through the garage today and I found some 10W40 Semi Synthetic Oil. Would this be okay to put in my scooter?

Ive got no idea what the oil thats in the scooter now is, but in the manual it says it should use 15W40.

Does mixing Semi Synthetic and other types of oil cause any sort of damage or is it perfectly safe just to top my ped up with this 10w40 Semi Synth?

Cheers :)

Is your scoot 2stroke or 4stroke?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
4 stroke mate

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
If you found an old can of beans on your shelf, would you just pop the top and start eating them?  C'mon, how much money are you saving? Respect what you put in your body AND your scoot.

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
Im not trying to save money or anything like that, at the end of the day oil is oil and if need be all I need to do is top it up, saves all the hassel of doing a full oil change?

Will the engine not have to be flushed out because if I do an oil change with this 10w40 semi and what was in there already was 15w40 normal will this do anything to the oil im putting in?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »
4 stroke mate

Do not mix different bases (even though nothing drastic would happen).
10W40 synthetic based oil is perfectly fine for your little OEM 15W40 scoot, even better.
If I were you, and if you have 7 dl of oil or more, I would not top up but drain old oil, whatever kind it is, pour in semi and then when the level drops (if it does at all), change oil again.
No purpose fretting over insignificant issues.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »
Right changed the oil, up to the maximum on the dipstick, wasnt too hard :)

Measured the stuff that came out of the engine and there was about 0.45L when there should of been 0.8L!

I forgot to mention the engine started making a tapping noise a about a week or so ago, so I check the oil and decided to refill as I have.

Tapping noise still seems to be there though? Will it go? Get worse or stay as it is? I dont think its the rod shells (bearings?) or whatever there called, it sounds like its comming from the cam or valves.... maybe im just over reacting? The engine runs fine though been out for a 10 mile drive and all seems well :)

Cheers for the help!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »
Right changed the oil, up to the maximum on the dipstick, wasnt too hard :)

Measured the stuff that came out of the engine and there was about 0.45L when there should of been 0.8L!

I forgot to mention the engine started making a tapping noise a about a week or so ago, so I check the oil and decided to refill as I have.

Tapping noise still seems to be there though? Will it go? Get worse or stay as it is? I dont think its the rod shells (bearings?) or whatever there called, it sounds like its comming from the cam or valves.... maybe im just over reacting? The engine runs fine though been out for a 10 mile drive and all seems well :)

Cheers for the help!

Considering that you have 4 stroke scoot, and if the tapping sound is truly present, most likely the valves are a bit off.
I do not know how many kms does your Super 8 have.
I had valves checked at 20.000 kms on my Agility 125 and they were a bit off: valves should be checked every 6-10.000 kms.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
its got around 4800 KM, ive asked everyone else and they just say its nothing and its completly normal

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
An ounce of prevention...is worth a pound of cure. This might be one of those times where that old saying applies.

I think you only need feeler gauges to check the clearance of your valves?? If you have some or can get some it wouldn't hurt to give it a look. At least then you would know if it is coming from your valves or the engine. From the way I understand it keeping your valves properly adjusted can prevent future damage or problems.

And if the scoot is used it does not really matter how many km are on it because there's no way of knowing if someone else set them wrong.

And (just my opinion)...it's not "everyone else's" scoot. I'm not saying they're wrong. But I don't want to see you let what someone else "thinks" mess up YOUR wheels. :)

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
Any idea what the gap should be between the valves? Cheers :)

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »
Check the general discussion thread and look under the service manual topic posts.  Someone may have posted a link to the Super 8 service manual which will tell you the specifications on the valve clearances and have pictures of how to adjust the valves.

For the Agility 50cc it is .04mm.

Valves are easy to check and adjust and they can get out of spec fairly easily.  I checked mine at 4,000km and they were indeed off a bit.

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:52 PM »
By saying 'there off' im guessing the rocker is too far off the valve, hence when the rocker pushes on the valve it has to travel further, creating the tapping?

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:09 AM »
Topping off the oil ??? Is your scoot using oil? When you last changed your oil, did you check the level properly? When doing an oil change it doesn't take the whole quart so where is the rest of the oil that wasn't used? Gy6 based engines work well with a valve clearance of 3MM on the intake and 5 on the exhaust.
Are you confident enough to perform a valve adjustment and do you own the proper tools?

2 Things with oil

1) Never mix match oil.
2) Never overfill the crankcase.

It takes 5 minutes to drain the oil and about an average of 4.00 for a quart of oil isnt that worth a piece of mind that all is good?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()