Author Topic: Quits Running after 1 Block?  (Read 2549 times)

Texsinbad

• View Profile
Quits Running after 1 Block?
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
I have had my 2014 Super 8 150 for about a year and 4 times it has stopped running after 1 block and I can't get it restarted until I have waited for about 20-30 minutes.  The first 2 times this happened it was on consecutive days.  The next 2 times there was a day in between (stopped on Saturday and then again on Monday).

This has always happened the first time in the morning--never later in the day.

When it stops, I tried to get it restarted, but it doesn't even act like it wants to start, but after 20-30 minutes, it starts easily.

I use non ethanol gas most of the time and the times that I am not near a station that sells it, I buy premium and add an additive for ethanol gas.

I am not mechanically inclined and have NO idea what is wrong.  The dealer says that it could be a water bubble.  Since I never know when or if it is going to happen, I can't take it and leave it at the dealers.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Quits Running after 1 Block?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:03 PM »
not mechanically inclined and have NO idea what is wrong
So why post . . if you lack the aptitude to reference a service manual, or perform basic troubleshooting to determine if the issue is fuel, spark, or compression related?

Texsinbad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:54:45 AM »
I posted in case some mechanically minded person might know what was wrong and I could have the dealer fix it.

If you don't know or care to help, that is fine, but there is no need to be rude to me for asking for help.  Not everyone has the same skills or knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:56:43 AM by Texsinbad »

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »
I would drain the fuel tank. Could be bad fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David Means

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »
Hi Sounds like my scoot, I think its that silly wax filled auto choke that has gone bad !  Runs like a scared rabbit after she-he warms up.
           Good luck

tjupille

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »
When it stops, I tried to get it restarted, but it doesn't even act like it wants to start

A bit more detail would help the diagnosis. Does this mean that it doesn't turn over at all, or that it turns over but does not "catch" and start?

If it doesn't turn over (i.e., the starter doesn't do anything when you press the start switch), then it's almost certainly an electrical problem. If I had to guess, I'd say probably a bad ground connection somewhere. The fix is simple but time-consuming since you have to take apart a fair bit of the tupperware in order to get at the connections.

If it turns over but doesn't catch, it could still be electrical, but might also be fuel or compression. When it dies and won't start, try kick-starting it. If you don't feel any resistance when you kick through, that suggests that you don't have compression. Possibly a sticking intake or exhaust valve or just a piece of carbon on a valve seat, but that's a long shot. Since it's an intermittent problem, the first thing I would try is to run a few capfuls of SeaFoam into the carb throat, the put in enough to kill the engine, let it sit for a while, then start it up again.

Since you can start and get a block or so away before it dies, my guess as to the *most* likely problem is a fuel valve (vacuum actuated petcock) that is sticking shut now and then.

Texsinbad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
In case anyone else has or ever has this problem, I found out by trial and error how to keep the motor from quitting.  Most of the time, it was within a block of my house and I would have to wait 15+minutes before it would start again.  There were times it quit running several times a day.

As I mentioned, I am not mechanical minded, so, I don't know how to fix it, but how to keep it from quitting.  Each morning before I start it, I take the cap off of the fuel tank and blow twice into the tank. When I do that, it has NEVER quit on me.

I told the dealer what I was doing, and he said that the Fuel Vent System probably needed cleaning.  He said that perhaps I had over filled the gas some time, which I might have done.

I asked him how much to clean the Fuel Vent System, and he told me $60.  It isn't worth it to me.  I will take the 10 seconds to blow into the fuel tank.

As I said, perhaps this will help some one else who motor is quitting for what seems like no reason.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:26:42 PM »
When you say that you blow into the tank....do you mean that you actually seal the tank opening with your mouth and blow air pressure into the tank.....like blowing up a balloon?
Or do you just put a puff of air in there?
Surely this is a clue for a fix from a better mechanic than myself.
In any event, thanks for posting your discovery.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Texsinbad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:17 PM »
I just open the gas cap and blow a couple of breaths inside.  Not sure why since I am not mechanicallly minded, but it works and that is what is important to me.

As I said, the dealer said he could clean the Fuel Vent System for $60, but it is not worth that to me.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:25 AM »
Vent the gas cap. It is called the Stall of Shame on the Buddy forum. Small hole, 1/16 " or smaller. Tjupille is right on it!

Karl
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:44:35 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()