Author Topic: WON'T START  (Read 2358 times)

fshfindr

• View Profile
WON'T START
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
I've been under the weather for a while and unable to ride.  Last week my grand son was over and washed the bike.  So today I decided to take just a short ride against the docs orders.  Maybe it heard the doc because it would not start.  It's on a battery tender showing green.  Lights come on, gauges light up but nothing when I hit the starter.  The switch is on, the stand up, I even held the brake on, but nary a sound, completely dead.  It's just too much trouble to get it to a mech. or I would.  So what do I do first?

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: WON'T START
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »
Test the starter solenoid with a meter/test light to see if there is voltage from the batt. there. Then test for a signal from the starter switch, and finally test for a ground opposite the switch. If all these are good jump the solenoid with a screw driver to see if the starter turns. You will isolate the problem that way... Most likely a bad fuse somewhere but this will tell you where to look.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
much as i hate to suggest something so simple, last time this happened to me (not by current bike - it's predecessor), my granddaughter had been sitting on the seat pretending to ride and she toggled the kill switch.

since i never use the switch, it was the last thing i checked.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »
I just learned how easy it is to check fuses.  I pulled the starter system fuse to check it and found that these new fangled fuses can be checked by touching the two bare wires on the back of the fuse.  Pretty neat.  But, all fuses are good.  Now I need to know where the starter solenoid is and what it looks like.  Also, you said it could be a fuse somewhere.  I checked the fuses under the battery.  Are there other fuses?  I'd like to check them before I start messing with the solenoid.  Also, I'm thinking that my grandson used a hose to wash it.  How would I know if that is the problem?

Thanks,
Richard L.

UPDATE;  UPDATE;  I think I found the solenoid, the two big connections are covered, the red one has power, the black does not, black is still dead when I hit the starter.  Should I do the screwdriver thing to see if the starter will turn over?  Will I damage anything if I do it?

Thanks,
Richard L.

Final Update:  I replaced the Bat. Tender with a 10 amp charger.  With the charger on, it started right up.  I'll get a new battery latter today.  Thank you for the assistance, now I have to find a way to get the red off my face.  But usually with a dead bat, you get some sounds (clicking).  With this there were no sounds.  With the 10 AMP. charger on, it started right up.  But usually with a dead bat, you get some sounds (clicking).  With this there were no sounds.     :-[   :-[   :-[

Richard L
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:08:04 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
glad you found it Richard!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
Glad to hear you're back to riding. Somewhere on the driver's manual it warns about directly hitting the engine with water from a hose. I had thought that might have been the problem. Maybe the seat was open while your grandson was cleaning the bike and that took down the battery.

-Wolf

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:07:04 AM »
I was thinking water in the key switch myself... but all the same. Water turned Something on. Sell the kid Fish! ;D

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
Glad to hear you're back to riding. Somewhere on the driver's manual it warns about directly hitting the engine with water from a hose. I had thought that might have been the problem. Maybe the seat was open while your grandson was cleaning the bike and that took down the battery.

-Wolf
MY THOUGHTS TOO.  THANKS FOR THE THOUGHT.

RICHARD L.

ps:Zombie, my grandson Eric would love the fish.  Big time fisherman.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
"Sell the kid Fish!"

Sorry Fish... I meant put the kid up for sale... ;)

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
Before you buy the battery, did you clean the battery terminals? When you have a dead battery, always clean the battery terminals first! (even if they look clean) Then try to start again, then charge the battery. If this fails take the battery to one of the autoparts stores that can check your battery condition.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()