Author Topic: Who owns a 2008 Mongoose 300?  (Read 16726 times)

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
Who owns a 2008 Mongoose 300?
« on: December 09, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »

I really like how they extended the wheels out 2" in both sides and lengthed the swing arm,

How do they drive all stock? Whats the first got to have mods?
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
ITP Mud Lite XTR 26/9/12 - 26/11/12 on ITP Type 7 rims
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
EPI Clutch Kit (rollers/spring)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

tony_dt

• View Profile
Re: Who owns a 2008 Mongoose 300?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »
I had an 07 300 for a short while. It is a pretty good bike. I would  change the clutch spring and the roller weights.
It's good the way it is other than that.
If your just sport riding with no deep water, or mud.  Removing the airbox lid, putting a BMC filter (with sock), pipe and jets can open it up a little.

There is a cam available for it but I would wait for the warranty to expire. I will tell you that my old 04 250 that I had the l cam and oversized piston in would outrun the factory 300 but I am sure the 300 with a cam would be a better platform to start from. It does seem to not get hung up as much on the rough stuff too.

Tony

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:03:07 AM »
Thanks for the replay.

Yeah..the clutch always seems to be the first place to modify. I made big gains on my MXU300 by tinkering with the clutch.

I just like the way Kymco made the a-arm improvements (2+) on the '08 model. I liked the current Mongoose, but the first thing I would want to change is the a-arms...the '08....well...I don't have to :)

I have  a '07 MUX300....I am thinking about putting a set of '08 Mongoose a-arms on them.

I may be looking at getting a '08 Mongoose fisrt of the year...I'll be sure to let you know all about it. ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:07:59 AM by MXU500_Red »
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:18:50 AM »
Great. Any info about the Mongooses would be appreciated. You will like the bike.

Are you sure that the 08 Mongoose 300 has a different A-Arms than the 07 Mongoose 300 or different than the 250?

Have you tried any different tire\wheel combos on your MXU300?

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 03:35:20 AM »
Have you tried any different tire\wheel combos on your MXU300?

Hey Terry...no , my MXU300 is pretty stock other than clutch mods.

I was thinking about a new tire/wheel combo next year....any suggestions?

I also am toying around with a handlebar change (something a little hight and back a bit) . The stock ones for me are WAY too short and set forward too much....of course I ride the 500 mostly, but every once in a while I like to ride the 300....

Anyway....I am still looking at the Mongoose as well next year.
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 02:16:56 AM »
A guy I know want's to change them for his son. He want's some like you see on the 4x4 atv's.  I found some nice wheels that will work (bolt up anyway, w offset), but the rims are a taller size. If I find something better I will post in the MXU section.

Let me think about the Handlebars.

In Mongoose news, I just bought a basketcase Mongoose that I am going to rebuild from the ground up.  This was one brave ATV.

I will try to post as I progress.

Plans:
For Sure:
300 Conversion
Red Spring
20 oz rollers
new clutches
lots of paint and tlc.
Front wheels and tires
BMC Filter and Sock
Rear Bearings
X-Ring Chain

If I can afford:
New Plastic
Cam
Exhaust
Twist Throttle
Sprocket

I am so happy, maybe I will keep this one and not sell it:)

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 03:54:42 AM »
Sounds like a good project.
You mention "red" spring....do you mean the maroon 160lb spring? That is what I have in my MXU300.

I forgot to mention that I also had put 1.5 " wheel spacers on my MXU300....it makes it a lot more stable on off camber riding and fast turns. That is why I was pleased when I found out the 2008 Mongoose came with front and rear 2" wider on each side.

Here is a pict of me on the MXU300. Maybe you can tell it has the wider stance in the pict.

'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:23:58 PM »
Yes, Maroon spring.  Sorry, I see things RGB:)

Yes, the front wheels look to have a little more offset.

I noticed on the Mongoose 300 it is a little more stable and a little more clearance.

It would be nice to add the a-arms and swing arm to 250, but the more I tear into it the more repairs it needs.

One thing that I am doing on the basket case is replacing the front wheels and tires. The right front is bent in so many places, that I don't know how it holds a bead. The tires are some bald ITP tires. I am replacing with  T-9 Pro Baja and ITP XCT 23X7X10.  Then later when I have more money get the back T-9 +  22X11X9 XCT.  The stock kenda rear tires are still ok. They are a very good tire for the money. The Front T-9's will have more offset.

It looks to have sit under water/mudd for some time. The rear brake top piston is frozen. The chain is an example of what rust can do:) The right rear axle bearing is shot. There is even sand inside the headlight:) I thought it had transmission damage but strangly it is just the clutch unit. I have cleaned it pretty well, it was packed with sand and had lots of rust.  Debating on buying the whole rear unit.

My Dad tooks some pics, I will post some later.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:06:48 PM by tony_dt »

tfordroadster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »
Here is a piston and cam for the 300

http://www.powroll.com/P_KYMCO_300.htm

I have the 07 and am looking at the clutch mod, cam and piston.  who sells a pipe kit?

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 01:38:18 AM »
Here is a piston and cam for the 300

http://www.powroll.com/P_KYMCO_300.htm

I have the 07 and am looking at the clutch mod, cam and piston.  who sells a pipe kit?

I know that DesertToyz,com has a Mongoose300 pipe setup - http://deserttoyz.com/DesertToyzCatalog.pdf

I think maybe Powroll is going to eventually come out with one ....not 100% sure though...
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 03:12:38 AM »
Akropovic makes a pipe. Expensive. ( I would like to try but never be able to afford)
MRP has a pipe.  Expensive (not that impressed)
Powroll has a Slip on (supertrapp) I bet you have to cut the header. (I would like to try this, but I think that I would just make my own)
HMF made a few but stopped.
Desert Toyz pipe makes a good sound and has a good finish. I can't say that I can detect the diff in power though.
Powerpros makes a pipe. I haven't seen the Mongoose pipe. I also would like to see one of these.

eddie09

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
Hi , I am new to the forum and I can see there is alot of  great information here. I was hoping I could get some help here.
I have the Arctic cat  version of the Mongoose 300, It is the DVX 300.
I have not been getting much response on the arctic cat forum in refrence to this bike, so I thought I would talk to you guys.
I am sure most of you all know the mongoose and the DVX are basically the same bike I think except for some cosmetic items, such as plastics and graphics, and maybe a few other items. I really like this bike ,but I am new to the CVT transmission. the question I have is it seems to lagg a little on the higher revs and the top end, is this normal or is there something I am missing. the bike is new and I am just thinking it needs to be broke in some more. other than that I  love the bike. Thanks
ED

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 03:23:40 AM »
The lag that you are getting, is more than likely the carb/pipe combo not breathing well enough for the way you ride. In the cvt there are rollers that vary the amount of rpm's it takes to run at a given speed. If you feel you are reving too high at top speed, you can add heavier rollers to bring down the rpms' or visa versa. If there are certain areas that don't preform quite the way you think they should it is easy enough to sort out a way to modify the bike the way you want it. While I don't have a lot of experience with artic cat, an engine is an engine. You can also run a brand new plug at the rpm range you are not happy with for a minute or so, and kill the engine. Pull the plug, and it will show the the burn temp., and mix ratio in its color. this can lead you to either working on the cvt or fuel system. Good luck, and keep posting even though you have an A.C.    Here's a good link to a plug chart that may come in handy.   http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:GWxVkWUBzb4J:www.paradrenalin.com/Spark%2520Plug%2520Color%2520Chart.pdf+spark+plug+color+chart&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESij0N5FFPocWiwf4VDFupy6mWSfW6Y9XR0I_Ymp64WOx9D72jUqD0kdOAEnh0fH7FRyozRn6oa_BFhYYouLdpfkta1EnqOVruCfhs02ooOG3qCxPLQkfktjuf4Q_pCJn7iBOWun&sig=AHIEtbQIrrHzVlFaomFOfOEef_UncivxVg
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Zootqq

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
In the cvt there are rollers that vary the amount of rpm's it takes to run at a given speed. If you feel you are reving too high at top speed, you can add heavier rollers to bring down the rpms' or visa versa.

But will not affect your top speed.

The rollers dictate how quickly the CVT pushes the belt up the ramp. It can affect the rate at which the CVT gets into top gear, but unless you change the shape of the roller, cannot affect the overall gearing.

The only rollers I have ever seen that can change your overall gearing and give you quicker launch (lower gearing) at the bottom and higher top speed (higher gearing) is the Dr. Pulley - which don't much look like rollers at all, more like a strange board game piece...

Being that they are both Taiwanese, Dr. Pulley makes rollers (and clutches and sliders) for the entire Kymco range. A cheap and worthwhile performance mod, in most cases obviating the need for a clutch change - at least until the stock one is done in :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()