Author Topic: Kymco Mongoose 50 exhaust is LOUD!  (Read 4953 times)

dmcleaner

• View Profile
Kymco Mongoose 50 exhaust is LOUD!
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »
My Mongoose exhaust is very load for a 50cc machine. I bought the bike used, and no sure if some sort of baffle was removed (for whatever reason). Am I missing a part, or are these ATVs just freakin' load?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Mongoose 50 exhaust is LOUD!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
It's most likely been gutted. (the muffler). Stock kymcos are very quiet.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dmcleaner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
Can they be repacked. Also, there seems to be something missed from outlet, since there is a place for a crew or bolt to go into, but nothing there. Anyone have a diagram of the exhaust I could look at?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:43:06 AM »
I am assuming yours is a 4t? Kymco does not sell the baffle separately, but a local dealer may have one from a gutted muffler. It slides right in and should be pop riveted in place. Or You can build one using almost any thin walled pipe. Block one end of a 7-8" pipe that Measures about 1" in diameter. Drill thru both sides around 1 dozen 3/16" holes. Fit that into an adapter that will fit the end of the muffler, and rivet it all in place.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dmcleaner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »
I'll do that...thanks!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:09 AM »
Would LOVE to see some picts. of what you do. I have built lots of custom baffles using copper plumbing parts. Its readily available, and easy to drill. The first design may sound off to you but you will learn fast that small changes in design of a baffle have different sound qualities, and performance. I found once making a 6"x3/4" pipe with a 3/4"x1 1/2"bell at both ends (no holes drilled) gave a stock Harley sound to a 250cc 2t twin Yamaha. Point is ... It's fun to make baffles.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:35:06 AM »
I just saw the other thread. It's a 2t... That changes EVERYTHING... You should still have a baffle, but it needs several dozen holes, as it needs to be wrapped w/ fiberglass before you insert it into the muffler. This one also gets bolted as you will need to re-pack it every few thousand km. I would try to find the oem baffle as it will make your life much easier.

yfzsandaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 06:54:27 AM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()