Author Topic: Which Iridium plug?  (Read 13089 times)

art

• View Profile
Re: Which Iridium plug?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:45:45 AM »
 ;D
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

tomheet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
question for gregp- how is that irridium plug doing now? Seriously contemplated buying one-also have cold start issues. I don't care if it cost 11 bucks, but I've heard mixed reviews, a kymco tech told me it won't help cold starting. Thanks for providing the ngk part#, I may just get one. Starting to learn it's not JUST one, but several things one may have to do to start in <40 degree temps. The people 50 is a cold blooded beast....

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 12:54:27 AM »
I think both art and wordslinger are of the impression that the ppl 50 is a hot blooded beast.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
I have a 2002 people 50 that I used to have trouble with in cold weather untill I changed to NGK iridium . Now it starts and idles better in all weather , but is still balky in 20 degree and under weather . I also use non ethanol gas and seafoam . I have over 2500 km on the iridium plug with no problems . Good luck .

art

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
 It was worth it on the kitted bike,but it is down right now,for other reasons. (crank bearing)
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 01:07:05 AM »
I think both art and wordslinger are of the impression that the ppl 50 is a hot blooded beast

..i know that's right!!!

;D

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »
You can use the iridium plug in your engine, yes it is longer. As long as you haven't milled your head for compression you will have enough squish (piston to head clearance)
When you use multiple washers you are going to have a compression leak which is going to result in loss of torque. Ever notice the washer on a spark plug is different then your standard washer used on bolts?
Its designed to seal when under stress such as 120PSI to wear a standard washer is used as a lock washer or spacer, not to seal

tomheet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
I've been using the irridium plug for about 10 days now. Can't say I notice a difference. No help with cold starting. Im told they last much longer than other plugs, but have not verified that in any way yet.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
You're in good company...

Many of the people on the forum that switched to iridium haven't noticed any difference - including me!

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
According to the NGK website both the BR8HSA and the BR8HIX are 14mm X 13/16 " . That sounds like the same size IMO .

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
Many of the people on the forum that switched to iridium haven't noticed any difference - including me!

..same here...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »
Well I am still happy with my iridium plugs and if I ever wear one out im going to get another to replace it . I hope all of you all will like them better in time .

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »

..same here...

Thats because your running the wrong fuel.  ;D

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 02:50:06 AM »
Iridium spark plugs....... how we all fall for great marketing. Such as the super duper high output "racing" coil! LOL!!
Iridium is one of the hardest metals known to man. Its not some super HV transformer.
Iridium became very popular when the automobiles started to advertise a tuneup every 100K miles.
YES!! Iridium spark plugs are long lasting and dont burn out as quick as conventional spark plugs.
Stick with a 2.95 NGK spark plug and stop wasting your money on marketers and sales people..

Its been proven in the performance world on dynos. Spark Plugs DONT increase horsepower.

Its always great when some company comes out with a spark plug, such as the Split Fires 8.00 a piece and boy did they make money off that!

Ever think your hard starting may be because of a poor operating choke? Maybe your carburetor is jetted on the lean side?

I read so many posts that people mask a problem and usually causes more issues down the line.

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 02:52:44 AM »
question for gregp- how is that irridium plug doing now? Seriously contemplated buying one-also have cold start issues. I don't care if it cost 11 bucks, but I've heard mixed reviews, a kymco tech told me it won't help cold starting. Thanks for providing the ngk part#, I may just get one. Starting to learn it's not JUST one, but several things one may have to do to start in <40 degree temps. The people 50 is a cold blooded beast....

Why do you think a spark plug would help with cold starting?
Cold starting is usually by a lean condition faulty choke etc.
Can you explain your theory?
Do you think 2.95 spark plugs get cold and dont like to spark when its cold?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()