Author Topic: Which Iridium plug?  (Read 13088 times)

gregp

• View Profile
Which Iridium plug?
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:12:40 PM »
I decided to switch over to an Iridium plug this weekend, and was trying to figure out which one to get for my 2004 People 50.

The stock plug according to the manual is a BR8HSA.  I saw references to both an Iridium BR8HIX and BPR8HIX, so I sent an email to NGK and received this response today:

"The iridium equivalent of the BR8HSA is the NGK BR8HIX stock# 7001. The BPR8HIX has a longer firing end making it possible to contact the piston and possibly cause overheating of the ground electrode due to it being longer. Hope this helps, thank you."

Just wanted to throw this up here and see which plugs people are using and how they are working out.

Thanks,
Greg

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Which Iridium plug?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:45 AM »
That is an interesting response. We have a plug but it won't work! Hmmmm... I don't use the iridium but I found you can put in any plug you want as long as the physical sizing is the same. I run a completely different style plug from the stock one and have a much happier scoot. I forget the #'s but will post it here so you can get an idea. Welcome to the forum gregp
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gregp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »
Thanks, Zombie!  What I think he was saying is that the Iridium BR8HIX is the same size as the stock plug and will work, but the BPR8HIX is longer and will not.

Looking forward to seeing what you are using,
Greg

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »
Hey greg welcome to the forum.I went to the local auto parts store To try to get one the br8hix I believe is the equivalent to stock.Do to mods I'm running one step colder,said They could order but never heard back from them.The local scoot shop wants around $7.00 for a stock ngk,so im running an autolite 4092 at less than $2.00 a pop this is  = to a br9.I do carry a couple spares in the glove box,but have not had a problem yet.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »
hey guys< I'm running an NGK BP 9 HS. I forget what the stock one was, but it was about 1/4" longer, and 2 steps hotter. I have run everything from BP 5 thru 9, and the 9 works best for mine. I milled my head .5mm, and this heat range works fine. the length puts the tip right on top of the dome vs in the center of the chamber. The right plug will add some torque, and 1-2 mph top.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 02:07:07 AM »
I went to buy an iridium plug and was told that it had a longer firing end . My mechanic told me it would change the tune up I had just done on my scooter.

gregp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:14 AM »
I finally got the Iridium BR8HIX plug for my 2004 People 50 I ordered, gapped it, and installed.  Made no other changes to the bike. 

It now starts up immediately when cold, although I still have to wait a minute before I can drive it or it will stall out.  After that, it is wonderful - peppier, better going up hills, and a faster high end. 

Before this it was a painful 5 minutes or more of starting, stalling, and restarting to get it going each morning.

Greg

art

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:31:43 AM »
Good to know,glad it worked out for ya.now for some mods Ha!That hard start and dieing could be an air idle adjustment,was having the same problem had to turn in a 1/4 turn clockwise.Made a big difference.

gregp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:05:27 AM »
Art, thanks - will try the air adjustment.

So - what would you recommend as the first mod?

Greg

art

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:35:59 AM »
The cheapest and easiest Is an upjet to an #85 main and a 3/8" hole in the outer cover of the airbox(I put the hole to the carb side behind the little flare in the cover)If wanting a little more go for the K/n filter(your carb opening is 38mm I think you can run up to a 43mm filter opening) and about a #95 main eliminate the airbox,The 2004 pipe is not bad for a stocker,to stay cheap dont worry about a pipe just yet.The filter and jet should cost less than $40 and give you better performance all the way through and 5+mph,at this point you may need to do some roller changes and once there you may want to get a Malossi veriater,then it starts to get pricey a kevlar belt a hand full of weight and so on.I'd do the k/n and upjet and see what you think,cause there is always more,but this for around town is realy a good set up.Got me at 215 lbs to a 1/4" past the 50 mark more if a little down hill and climbs reasonably well.

gregp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
Art:
It all sounds very cool - and all in some language that I haven't heard before!   :)
Is there any place that gives beginner's details on "Mods for Dummys"?
Greg

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 04:21:10 AM »
..dude...read back through these posts...hang out here..it all becomes clearer with time..

..most of us found this place knowing absolutely nothing about our scoots..

..i learned all i now know with the help from ppl here...

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:21:56 AM »
Ha! the info is here,might have to waid threw some stuff or Tell us what you want to do first,I'll try my best Little hight tonight though!!!

art

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 04:22:57 AM »
And what he said!  ;D   ;D    ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 04:33:12 AM »
..i'm making way too many shims....

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()