Author Topic: What is Our Engine Based On?  (Read 3411 times)

Bravin Neff

• View Profile
What is Our Engine Based On?
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:15 AM »
Hello folks, first time poster here. I just picked up a 2002 People 50 that I am restoring. My research suggests the engine is based on a Honda AF16 Dio. Is there any truth to this? I am trying to determine what aftermarket parts are compatible with the bike. Thanks!

Bravin

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: What is Our Engine Based On?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:31 AM »
Good news, it's 100% Kymco design. The only Kymco that uses the "DIO" copy is the zx50. After alert parts will be listed for the Kymco AC (air cooled) scooter under any name except zx50. Lots of good stuff out there, check if scooter west.com still has any $100 malossi kits, cheapest you'll ever find. Racing planet.com has lots, but expect a wait time if coming from Europe warehouse, they always have have delivered though.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Bravin Neff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »
Great info, thank you!

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
From http://motorscooterguide.net/Kymco/People/People.html

Engines
The smaller People 50 scooter utilized the same 2-stroke engine found in all of Kymco’s 50cc 2-stroke models. This motor is a CLONE of Honda’s nicely designed AF18E/AF16E motor found in North American scooters like the ’94-’01 Honda Elite SR. This motor is hugely popular worldwide and has quite a following of aftermarket parts. You can read all the in-depth information this motor including information on derestricting it on the Kymco Super 9 page.

Having seen this, I've also seen that you need be very careful when parts hunting because the Kymco is enough different from the Honda that some parts aren't interchangeable.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:10:43 PM by mclark999 »
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:48:45 AM »
From http://motorscooterguide.net/Kymco/People/People.html

Engines
The smaller People 50 scooter utilized the same 2-stroke engine found in all of Kymco’s 50cc 2-stroke models. This motor is a CLONE of Honda’s nicely designed AF18E/AF16E motor found in North American scooters like the ’94-’01 Honda Elite SR. This motor is hugely popular worldwide and has quite a following of aftermarket parts. You can read all the in-depth information this motor including information on derestricting it on the Kymco Super 9 page.

Having seen this, I've also seen that you need be very careful when parts hunting because the Kymco is enough different from the Honda that some parts aren't interchangeable.

Not true!! The Kymco zx50 is the only one that uses the af16 clone engine!!! The others are horizontal not vertical, and share 0 parts with the af16 "DIO".
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:27:35 PM »
Not true!! The Kymco zx50 is the only one that uses the af16 clone engine!!! The others are horizontal not vertical, and share 0 parts with the af16 "DIO".

Did some more research and you are right.  It is amazing though how many sites list it as that Honda clone. 
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()