Author Topic: 07 xciting 500 temp guage  (Read 3071 times)

markmo

• View Profile
07 xciting 500 temp guage
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »
All of my guages quit working again and the temp. guage starts out on cold and goes to above red in like 1 min. I checked and addded about 32 oz. of water and still doing the same. When I turn my scoot off the fan does not come on. I tried the take off NEG battery wire tip and this didnt help. I am not going to ride it tell I know its not getting hot, or is my guage just going crazy ?  Thanks

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: 07 xciting 500 temp guage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
If it has enough fluid and it still happens, I would say the guage is bad. If its not the guage, I would say thermostat, or at least check that out after making sure cap is on tight and other no brainer checks such as fluid level. :-*

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »
If it sat for a while, got parked outside for a couple of days, or was ridden in the rain - then it could be a simple humidity problem up under the fairing.  Crazy gauges due to humidity are a common problem on the Xciting's - since the fan isn't coming on I think that is your only problem.

Choices:

1)  If you have clear dry weather then ride it for 5 miles or so.  If it's just humidity messing with the gauges then it should clear it up.  If you have a thermostat stuck closed it won't be far enough to hurt it.  Don't start it up and sit there - start it up and go so it gets airflow.

2)  Put a fan on it - set to blow up under the fairing towards the underside of the gauges for 4 hours or so.  Doing this outside on a sunny day is best.

Where are you parking it?  If you're using a cover on it and parking it outside, then you may just be making a humid mini greenhouse for it and causing this.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »
All of your gauges quit working again?  I think the problem is in the gauge cluster or at least something electrical.  I can't imagine the scoot getting so hot as to peg the temp gauge in only a minute.

I know my 2012 Xciting has a diagnostic port.  Does your 07?  If that's the case I would take it to the dealer and have them look for codes.

Don in KC.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
I don't think the 2007 has this port as it is not injected. It has to be guage or cluster if it peg's after only 1 minute. I agree on the moisture program.  :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Yes to all that BUT, 32 oz. is a lot of fluid to have to add.  And I hope you didn't add ordinary tap water.  These scooters call for distilled water or specific non-silicate antifreeze.  The aluminum parts in the water pump, thermostat, and elsewhere will be ruined in a short time with tap water or wrong antifreeze.  It'll have to be flushed if this is what has been done.

Where did you add?  Radiator?  Overflow tank?  Notice the high and low marks on the tank.

Hopefully it's not any of that and is just the gauge acting up.  ;)

My '07 takes no more than 3 or 4 ounces per year in the overflow tank.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:10:56 PM by Hoolander2 »

markmo

• View Profile
Re: 07 xciting 500 temp guage (UPDATE)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
The temp guage starts going up and keeps going till all the way past red when i turn the key on with out starting it,so I took it out for a hour ride and all guages still dont work and the temp guage stays all the way over to hot the whole time. One thing I forgot to add was the battery light and the cell phone light stays on, I just put a new battery on it last month. I dont know if the batt. and cell light has any thing to do with the guages? As far as parking my bike i keep it outside and coverd up with a motercycle cover on it. Thank you to every one far all your help.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »
Me thinks the fuses are next to the battery. Me thinks there are spare fuses in front on the battery? :-*

markmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:34:51 PM »
me checked the fuses me saw none blown, The battery is a motocross ytx14=BS. Going for a ride maybe needs more drying out . thanks again for your help

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
Did the ride do it?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

markmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
NO. I have rode it several hours and no luck. I have noticed that after I turn my key on the battery and cell phone light dont come on till about 3 or 4 sec. I hear a click sound under the dash area when the 2 light come on? This is where I think the click sound is coming from ? any ideas ? thanks again for trying to help me. I may have to take it to a shop to have it looked at, I am in southeast missouri and will have to haul it 3 hours to st louis or springfield mo.

Leesir

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:08:03 AM »
I am having the exact problem with my 2013 downtown, did you find out what the problem is?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()