Author Topic: 12 VDC socket replacement in the glove compartment  (Read 380 times)

Duddy03

• View Profile
12 VDC socket replacement in the glove compartment
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:34:00 AM »
I've been putting this project off for years after learning in 2015 that the stock 200i 12 V socket has a weak fuse, low grade wiring and it is difficult to replace the fuse.  The project went just like all my projects  . . . all down hill!  By the time that the front cover had to be separated into two pieces I was ready to give up.  The silicone spray, "butter" knife trick, prying and tugging all failed me.  I hadn't broken anything, yet!  After a little meditation I recalled that the real objective was to snake two 12 gauge wires from the glove compartment area to the battery box.  The inside of the glove box already has two plastic cover panels.  So instead of mounting the new socket behind the glove box, I installed it in the glove box.  I also installed a new fuse and fuse holding in the glove box so that I have easy access if the fuse ever needs to be replaced.  The twin USB ports on the low voltage plug gives me the option of powering or charging two devices at a time.

The moral of the story:  Consider seriously what your wife says when she says leave the scooter alone.  The GPS can't be read in the daylight especially when wearing sunglasses.  And the smartphone is only checked occasionally but I normally forget to bring it.  With a 5 amp fuse, there is no limit as to how many devices I could fry before the fuse blows.  But I certainly won't spend more money to buy to lower amperage fuse! 

(5 attachments were created but only 4 can be posted at a time.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:38:00 AM by Duddy03 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 12 VDC socket replacement in the glove compartment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 01:55:08 PM »
Nice job.
As for what you experienced doing this little project - sure have done that been there!
I pop my cell phone in the inside pocket of my riding jackets.....this is a step I never skip after reading of Mr. Forbe's experience the night of his very bad crash on his Majesty.
Some say it is not safe to keep it there - that it can become a cutting danger to the chest, etc., etc.
I figure that if I and my scooter become very separated while riding....a cell phone in my pocket will then be rather important.

As for needing GPS while riding....even if I find myself accidentally crossing into foreign countries, I won't get far without a passport.

Again, good job and thanks for the wise words as well.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()