Author Topic: Barely runs.  (Read 2914 times)

VenoxNelly

• View Profile
Barely runs.
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:48:31 AM »
I just bought a used 2006 Venox 250 for my wife. When we bought it, the gas was so bad it barely ran. I flushed the tank, and cleaned the carbs entirely. I reset the PMS screws at 2 1/2 turns. It seemed to only get worse, and I pulled the carbs three more times to make sure it wasn't plugging up. It gets fuel. It started as running badly and barely hitting 50, then only 40. Now it barely starts, some days it won't. I've run it without the gas cap to make sure it wasn't a vent problem. It gets spark. It seems to be unbelievably rich. I had it running the other day, and it took 20 minutes to start. One minute of running almost choked me out of the garage. Anyone have a new idea?

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
Re: Barely runs.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
Have you turned the manual idle screw beneath the tank?

Not sure if this is the right term for this and just taking a study break so my mind isn't in bike mode, but there's a screw that adjusts idle speed / richness of the mixture. Having it too high might be flooding? Also have you checked the air filter at all? If it has gas, and it has spark, still needs compression and air, check those?

VenoxNelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
It seems in my multiple cleanings I bumped the floats and set them too high. I had them readjusted and the bike starts and idles well again, but at open throttle bogs out. Pulling the choke doesn't help, so either the floats are set too low now or there is something else causing it to run lean. I will try dropping it off at a service shop tomorrow.

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »
Hope everything is sorted out, keep us posted?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()