Author Topic: 50cc's in florida  (Read 404 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
50cc's in florida
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »
Sitting at Duncan Donuts in St Pete Florida,  watching 50cc scooters flying by in the dark out here on Gulf Boulevard.
 I see why they have to derestrict those things to stay out of this 35 to 45 mile an hour traffic.
But sure would like to see some of them with a helmet on...and some extra lights or reflective tape! Little buzzy things with tiny tail lights.
Stig
PS- no didn't ride my Piaggio or LIKE200i down here for coffee. Had coffee in Ohio on scoot yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:05:35 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: 50cc's in florida
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:11:13 AM »
The last day I rode my scooter, I was in Panama City. And I noticed the same thing. I don’t think the Scooter rental place required helmets. So you had 100s of inexperienced riders in HEAVY tourist traffic mixed with half drunk drivers of LIFTED 4WD trucks, convertible mustangs with people standing up, along with crowded streets with ZERO protection on. I still SHUDDER to think what would have happened to me had I been without a helmet. They told me that my messed up leg contained grass, asphalt, and gravel. My helmet was scratched at the top and back. I assume from gravel and asphalt. And grass was in the vents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:15:42 AM »
I’m a helmet FANATIC! Living in the college town of Tallahassee I see bare headed riders all the time. When I see them at the convenience store, I’m likely to accost a complete stranger and admonish him or her to get a helmet ASAP. I show them my fake leg and then tell them that my head would have likely suffered the same fate sans helmet. I think a FEW listen. If only one or two listens, it’s well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
Here in the nanny state of California helmets are a must have. No helmet you get ticketed. I get that some states don't have a helmet law and their reason varies from freedom of choice to pine box don't cost much. But I for one cannot imagine getting on a PTW and not have one. I don't won't to survive a wreck and come out a vegetable. Just as shattering is the stress and strain on family and friends. For me the choice is simple and I choose a helmet. YMMV

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »
PTW, YMMV?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
Here in the nanny state of California helmets are a must have. No helmet you get ticketed. I get that some states don't have a helmet law and their reason varies from freedom of choice to pine box don't cost much. But I for one cannot imagine getting on a PTW and not have one. I don't won't to survive a wreck and come out a vegetable. Just as shattering is the stress and strain on family and friends. For me the choice is simple and I choose a helmet. YMMV
I tell people that me wearing a helmet made the difference between people asking ME  “Darryl, what are you going to do about your leg?” , vs my FAMILY discussing among themselves “what are we going to do about Darryl?”
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()