Author Topic: shocks and forks..how to identify when bad?  (Read 630 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
shocks and forks..how to identify when bad?
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
since it's about 5 below zero outside now...just wondering....I'm familiar with knowing when car shocks and struts are getting weak, leaking, etc....but what about scooter shocks and front forks?

I don't seem to read much about anyone replacing worn shocks or redoing the front forks..are there any signs to look for to tell when it's time to replace? My scoot (2010 People S200) has just under 2000 miles...so I'm assuming I'm good for a while..but what tells you when it's time to replace?...and what kind of miles does this usually happen at?

thanks, and stay warm...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: shocks and forks..how to identify when bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »
On the front I think it's mainly the fork seals that might show a leak .
At the rear....?
I do not think you need worry about your shocks for probably longer than you will be riding your scooter.
If you're like me and getting squirrely because you can't ride.....change the oils and read up on valve checks. Maybe replace the bake fluid if the fluid is older than 24 mos. But I wouldn't worry about the shocks unless you do a lot of dirt riding.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: shocks and forks..how to identify when bad?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »
thanks..no dirt riding, here (at least not intentionally)! I was curious why I never seemed to read anything about anyone replacing shocks...must not be too much stress put on them by our scooters.

Stig - you're dead on..checking valve adjustment and new brake fluid is on my list before I start riding again in the Spring!  I'm going to assume neither of those has been done on my scoot.

Does anybody replace the front brake line as suggested in the maintenance schedule after 4 or 5 years?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()