Author Topic: Like won't start  (Read 4454 times)

claynine

• View Profile
Like won't start
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
My Like had been running perfect when I parked it.  Next day I went to start it and the motor turned over fine but all I could get out of it was an occasional fire and mis-fire...  Gas is full.  I can hear the fuel pump running. No trouble code showing.  I pulled the spark plug and grounded it out and turned it over and I get occasional spark.  Very erratic, sometimes strong sometimes weak and most of the time no spark at all.  I tried the visual spark test with another spark plug and had the same results. I started looking for bad connections and couldn't find any.  I guess I will have to check these components one at a time.  Ignition coil.  Pulse coil, stop switch, key switch, ground wires for coils, tilt switch and ...I don't know how to check the ECU.  This Like has about 1700 miles and has run perfect.  Any thoughts or fixes would be appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Like won't start
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »
There is nothing to test in the ECU. You listed all the suspects... It could also be the spark plug boot itself. The FI bikes have a resistor boot that has a TINY resistor inside. These do fail.

You can simply unscrew the old boot, and replace it from any bike shop. They are around 9-10 bucks. There is a pointed screw inside the boot that screws into the center of the wire. Cut back about an inch of the HT lead to expose new wire.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »
Kill switch? I've done it with the like before and it did exactly what your saying. It's hard to tell when it's off too, check it.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will check the spark plug cap as that is easy.  The kill switch thing is another likely suspect that won't be so easy as the cloths are hard to get off this scoot but it's time to work on it a bit.  It's under warranty but so far to drive to get there so I want them to have the part I need or else I can just pay for it myself and save 600 mile round trip.

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
As per the replies I got to this post I tested the spark plug cap and that was fine and then I started messing with the stop switch on the handle bar and "BINGO".  It started right up.  I think the stop switch is either weak or to close tolerance on the wiring but after pushing it on and off a few times it started right up.  So, something to watch for and the 600 mile trip for warranty is off!  Hats off and thanks again to BettinANDlosing and zombie!  I really appreciate the advice.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
Kill switched m switches are crap, if you get in the headset you can actually make it go away. Aka delete it
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »
Kill switched m switches are crap, if you get in the headset you can actually make it go away. Aka delete it
I can get in the headset....how do I make the kill switch go away??
I'm going in there to check the start switches for my stumbling issue.
Much appreciated.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
I make it a habit to cycle the switches I don't use frequently like the kill switch, horn, hi/low/flash beam. Thus helps to remove oxidation.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:51 PM »
PB Blaster sprayed into all those switches, and cycled on a regular basis ( Thanks Trout) will keep them working.
I don't know if yours is a continuity switch or an interrupt switch but it is still easy to by pass... Cut the wires to the switch. If the bike starts tape them off. If the bike doesn't start, join them together, and seal it all up.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:22 PM »
That reminds me, thanks Zombie, when my turn signals switch wouldn't return to center without some coaxing I sprayed some electronic cleaner from Radio Shack (see link below) into the switch housing. It did the job.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102649

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »
That cleaner is good for initial cleaning but does nothing for long term protection. WD 40 is also good but again is not long term. PB Blaster leaves a film that protects, and lubricates long term.
(they send me a buck every time I post that) So far that's one!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
Would be nice if these kymco kill switches operated like a real kill switch. Trouble is these scooter switches ALMOST let the scoot start....fires, stumbles, fires, but won't start. Fools you into thinking it's something else...as a real kill switch should only let the starter turn with zero results. Tis a fooler. I swear my LIKE did fire for a couple seconds!
Stig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:27:42 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Fortunately in Europe we do not have these Kill Switches on the Kymco Like Scooters. Instead we have there the way better headlight main switch.
This makes sense, because having the headlight turned on right with the ignition key each time is a killer for at least a low/weak battery and a senseless no go in general.
And the motor will start a 100% easier with the headlights off.
The kill switch is absolutely not needed, because the Like (at least the 200i) has an elekronik killswitch on the engine anyway which activetes itselve when your vehicle bank angle gets more than 60 degrees. And if legal take away those useless additional blinkers/turn signals on the handlebar and reinstall the original one already mounted in the scooter front.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
It's mandatory here in the states for the headlight on any motorcycle to always be on. Also mandatory for import to have a kill switch. In with you on that one, I was cranking a like 200 over checking for oil pressure and the bike friking started worth the kill switch in kill haha.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:39 PM »
Fortunately in Europe we do not have these Kill Switches on the Kymco Like Scooters. Instead we have there the way better headlight main switch.
This makes sense, because having the headlight turned on right with the ignition key each time is a killer for at least a low/weak battery and a senseless no go in general.
And the motor will start a 100% easier with the headlights off.
The kill switch is absolutely not needed, because the Like (at least the 200i) has an elekronik killswitch on the engine anyway which activetes itselve when your vehicle bank angle gets more than 60 degrees. And if legal take away those useless additional blinkers/turn signals on the handlebar and reinstall the original one already mounted in the scooter front.
Regarding that tip-over kill switich:
You know, if I'm laying in the shrubbery 50 yards down the road from my LIKE200i after doing a skillfull highside dismount......I don't think I'm going to care one hoot if my scooter is still running. For insurance purposes, I hope it is one giant ball of flames....since that rear City Grip was needing replacement in a few months anyway.
Ralph Nader on the  American Scooter safety board?
If we're riding a plastic scooter in traffic with F-150's and Escalades we got bigger things to be concerned with than a Tip Switch.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()