Author Topic: Scooter info for a future owner  (Read 1339 times)

boblwms

• View Profile
Scooter info for a future owner
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
I am getting ready to become a scooter owner and would like some suggestions or thoughts on various models.  I am considering a new 2009 Agility 125, a used 2006 B&W 150 or a new 150.  I have narrowed my search to Kymco because I like what I read bout them.

roboscoot

• View Profile
Re: Scooter info for a future owner
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:09 AM »
my first take on where you are at right now is to ask.....what type of riding do you plan to do?...i am assuming from the cc levels you are considering ....mostly around town .....or what i call town hopping locally....also have you ever ridden before?.....as far as performance goes.....i can not address the options you are considering ...as i  have a kymco 300i....bigger than what you are considering....but since you landed on kymco as your scooter preference ...i think you made the right choice...

i am also assuming you have seen each option , have had a chance to sit on and feel the scooter out for your size and weight...the fit and the feel for you..which is important as you will be spending a lot of time on the scooter....if you have never rode ,your choice of lower end cc...may be appropriate,,,,and the scooters you mention are great starters....

in my case  and i am going back a ways....i learned on a 125cc....but by the time i mastered it and got my motor cycle license....i knew i was ready for a larger scooter.....considered a 150 but wound up going to a 250......never looked back and was the right decision for me....and than more recently to a 300 cc////my next scooter will probably be a 400cc or even 500 cc...simply because i do a lot of highway riding and touring and you need the extra power,

mechanically you see the options you are considering should all be good....because the scooters are well made and quality wise very reliable....however even after making your choice you will find pros and cons on whatever it is you buy....i think most forum members would agree on this....and than of course there is the matter of the aesthetics of the scooter itself...what you like re looks....so ultimately your choice will be a matter of your personal criteria for satisfaction.....and while there are some definite " shoulds" to consider ..the choice is ultimately yours to make...

boblwms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:45:38 AM »
Thank you for you reply.  A little background, I have owned a total of four motorcycles ant two 50cc scooterse; verything from a 50cc Honda to a Honda Gold Wing.  I am currently riding a Honda Nighthawk 750cc.  I have had it for the past ix years and probably haven't had it on the freeway more than a couple dozen times and most of those times service streets and rural roads were available to get me where I wanted to go.  In January I will be 80 and most of my riding now is around town and a scooter will better suit my current lifetyle.  Oh yes I weigh about 190 lbs.

jas67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
Thank you for you reply.  A little background, I have owned a total of four motorcycles ant two 50cc scooterse; verything from a 50cc Honda to a Honda Gold Wing.  I am currently riding a Honda Nighthawk 750cc.  I have had it for the past ix years and probably haven't had it on the freeway more than a couple dozen times and most of those times service streets and rural roads were available to get me where I wanted to go.  In January I will be 80 and most of my riding now is around town and a scooter will better suit my current lifetyle.  Oh yes I weigh about 190 lbs.

I'm glad to see that you're still able to be our there riding, keep it up!   I hope I'm still riding when I'm 80.
2007 People S 250
2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »
I would look for a 150cc scooter.

Pay attention to the wheel size; the 14 & 15" wheels seem more stable than the 12 & 13"
Also compare the dashboards.  Some are hard to read and others have few gauges.
Be sure that the scooter isn't too small or too large for you when riding.

Also consider what amount of storage space do you want ?

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »
well you obviously are no novice.....and seem to know what you want out of a scooter....having said that.....any of the scooters you mention should do the job.....good luck....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()