Author Topic: Boric Acid on clutch pads?  (Read 868 times)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Boric Acid on clutch pads?
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:21:28 PM »
Cross posting this in a few forums since it's applicable to any dry clutch potentially.

I've been doing some reading in preparation for de-glazing the clutch on one of my scoots.
Last time I did this I just lightly sanded the drum and the pads, but have read that apparently Boric Acid helps, & maybe cures this?

Anybody here use it?
If so:
How & where did you apply it?
Did you still sand the pads and bell?
If ya didn't sand the pads and bell how long did it take before everything de-glazed?

Thanks in advance
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Boric Acid on clutch pads?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:09:57 AM »
Thats a new one on me Tromper. But it would definitely help if any roaches get stuck up in there.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:00 AM »
Thats a new one on me Tromper. But it would definitely help if any roaches get stuck up in there.  :)
Fleas too...
It's a new one on me too, but saw enough references to it without a lot of detail beyond sprinkle a bit on the pads.
I'll likely just give it a light sanding but thought it was interesting.  I mean, who wants bugs in their clutch anyway?

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:33:40 AM »
Fleas too... I mean, who wants bugs in their clutch anyway?

That would make a clutch slip for sure.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
To be serious though I think that any advantage of using boric acid would be temporary. And I would be concerned about putting an abrasive powder in my cvt system. Don't think it would be good for the belts and rollers. Still a great post though!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:44 AM »
To be serious though I think that any advantage of using boric acid would be temporary. And I would be concerned about putting an abrasive powder in my cvt system. Don't think it would be good for the belts and rollers. Still a great post though!

Have my doubts as well.  I did get a response in another forum from someone who tried it & didn't find any meaningful impact from it.
I suspect it's like those who put Boric acid in their oil, probably doesn't really hurt anything, but there probably isn't any real benefit.  I poked around on that a few years back.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
My clutch pads were also glazed, sanded them a few times, but it didn't last long before the scoot started shaking at take of and low speeds. Bought a new clutch and it was ok again. I think that you will have to do the same. How many miles on the scoot?
Never heard anybody use boric acid...

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »
My clutch pads were also glazed, sanded them a few times, but it didn't last long before the scoot started shaking at take of and low speeds. Bought a new clutch and it was ok again. I think that you will have to do the same. How many miles on the scoot?
Never heard anybody use boric acid...

5500.  I sanded the other one a bit and have had no issues since ~5k miles since then.  Had to deglaze the bell a bit at the time as well.
In some respects glazing is normal, but some riders tend to it more than others.  The bike in questions is predominantly ridden by my wife who's easier on take off's than I am so the pads spend more time in the friction zone per say.

I was told a trick that seems to have got it for now; although since I have the time laid out for it and it ain't that hard on the SYM I may take it apart and look it over anyway to see what really happened there.  I'm not sure if the trick would deglaze a blued bell properly, or just do the pads.  If the later I question it's longevity a bit.

The trick was to hold ones brakes and rev it up and hold it a bit.  Make sure you have room in front of you and do wear gear in case ya slip and take off kinda abruptly.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:48:53 AM »
5500.  I sanded the other one a bit and have had no issues since ~5k miles since then.  Had to deglaze the bell a bit at the time as well.
In some respects glazing is normal, but some riders tend to it more than others.  The bike in questions is predominantly ridden by my wife who's easier on take off's than I am so the pads spend more time in the friction zone per say.

I was told a trick that seems to have got it for now; although since I have the time laid out for it and it ain't that hard on the SYM I may take it apart and look it over anyway to see what really happened there.  I'm not sure if the trick would deglaze a blued bell properly, or just do the pads.  If the later I question it's longevity a bit.

The trick was to hold ones brakes and rev it up and hold it a bit.  Make sure you have room in front of you and do wear gear in case ya slip and take off kinda abruptly.
Tried that trick too, no lasting affect.

Agility City 125

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »
Tried that trick too, no lasting affect.

Just cuz it don't hurt ta know.
What kinda of clutch (brand) didja get.  Didja just do the shoes, or a new bell too or ?
Heck a link would be neat to know since  you report good success with that.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
Just cuz it don't hurt ta know.
What kinda of clutch (brand) didja get.  Didja just do the shoes, or a new bell too or ?
Heck a link would be neat to know since  you report good success with that.
Got a RMS clutch because the price was ok and it was available the next day. It was about 50$.
RMS is a Italian company that sells motorcycle/scooter/bycicle parts under it's name. www.rms.it
Didn't change the clutch bell. At the time my Agility City 125 had around 35000km (about 21000mi)
The next year I changed the clutch springs  and main spring for 2000rpm ones out of curiosity.

Now I'm close to 51000km and did have to sand the pads a few times since installed.

Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()