Author Topic: 6000 mile service  (Read 2070 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
6000 mile service
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
Will be doing a belt and Dr Pulley slider & slide pieces replacement as soon as NWBUGGYPARTS sends my order.
I purchased a new CVT nut from them as well...which I always renew. For $1.50.
Clean out the area...check the air filter & replace if necessary. ...but never seems to get dirty.
Change gear oil.
It has been @6000 miles since I was last under the belt cover.
Will post pix of parts condition.
Using Kymco belt and filter from monster.
Absolutely smooth operating cvt....hope new touch doesn't screw it up!
Cyclepedia advises belt change after 6000.
I must make turns up hill through very busy multilane intersectoin where a belt fail would be bad. So, new belt before it is needed.
Will give clutch pads a look....but no noise or judder from them so probably won't touch their surfaces. !
Smooth running scooter with nearly 10000 miles on the Michelin City Grips.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: 6000 mile service
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
Tom, how many miles does your scooter now have in total? I am also nearing the 10.000km mark and have planned a similar service work. :-) Maybe in one or two weeks from today.
First belt change, clutch cleaning, Pulley slider and pieces cleaning - but no replacement yet, airfilter check - but no replacement yet (maybe cleaning only), spark-plug check and change, engine- and gearoil change, valve gap check; At 5.000km I decided to plan only 2 services for my scooter. A small one with oilchanges only every 5.000km and a large one every 10.000km with all the work mentioned above. Therefore I will set the valve gap to 0.005inches/0,12mm IN/OUT.
I will try to make some pictures and then file a short service report here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:20:38 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »
Tom, how many miles does your scooter now have in total? I am also nearing the 10.000km mark and have planned a similar service work. :-) Maybe in one or two weeks from today.
Belt change, clutch cleaning, Pulley slider and pieces cleaning - but no replacement yet, airfilter check - but no replacement yet (maybe cleaning only), spark-plug check and change, engine- and gearoil change, valve gap check; At 5.000km I decided to plan only 2 services for my scooter. A small one with oilchanges only every 5.000km and a large one every 10.000km with all the work mentioned above. Therefore I will set the valve gap to 0.005inches/0,12mm IN/OUT.
I will try to make some pictures and then file a short service report here.

Didn't look today....but @10500 miles.
Accumulating miles more slowly now....have a daughter to take to school ea. morning...and a puppy who gets depressed if we miss her 3 mile sunrise walk at the State park every single day.
The Burgman is used for longer rides....and all highway rides.
Last major parts replacement was 2+yrs ago...at @4400 miles.
Probably put on a new rear City Grip this winter or next spring. These went on at 400 miles !
Orig Kendas are still new...in garage. I should sell them....never going to use them.
Hard to imagine i've had the LIKE200I for over three years.
Still seems new.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:03:45 AM »
I've been changing the belt every 6,000 miles. im on my third belt the last one being a Malossi. So far it's held up, but it has changed somewhat the dynamics of the ride. I now cruise at 45 mph where that same throttle position with the OEM was between 35 and 45 mph. Top-end is slightly less.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
I've been changing the belt every 6,000 miles. im on my third belt the last one being a Malossi. So far it's held up, but it has changed somewhat the dynamics of the ride. I now cruise at 45 mph where that same throttle position with the OEM was between 35 and 45 mph. Top-end is slightly less.
Too early in the morning to do the math.
So that speed difference means this belt is thinner, fatter, longer or shorter than stock belt?
It doesn't seem to take much to change things on these scooters.
Set of 13g sliders was a lot different than the set if 14g. Raised the revs ....which I did not like....though probably gave me more acceleration. ..which I did not use.
Interesting.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:07:49 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:01:57 AM »
Ok folks. Last weekend I accomplished my 6.300mi or 10.000km service on my Like 200i.
What I did was the following:
Changed both oils. Gear oil was almost clean like new, only a tiny little bit of metallic glitter holding it against the sun. Nothing to worry about. Engine oil was of course pretty dark after 5.000km. But didn´t smell burned or something odd.
Changed the sparkplug as a precaution and because I already bought a few 2 years ago. But the removed plug looked very good and the wear was minimal. The gap went from 0.6mm to almost 0.7mm. Still within specs. So I could have easily reset the gap and used it again. But I wanted to have my baby a new one this time.
Checked the valve lash. Both were pretty much the same as 5.000km earlier. Nevertheless I finetuned them again - but without any need. So I think that my next valve lash check will be at 20.000km or later. Therefore I set both to 0.12mm.
Also opened the variator housing, which was very easy this time, because I greased the seal at 5.000km, cleaned everything in there  and changed the belt to a new one. Dr. Pulley sliders and rollers were in almost superb condition, so I reused them. Replacement belt was the original Kymco Bando belt (have another new one here from Mitsuboshi as spare). Old belt looked still good, but reached its specs-limits I guess. The thinnest aerea was about only 18.3mm. Clutch also looked good. Cleaned everything and regreased the clutch´s needle bearing for the next 10.000km.
I did not check or change the airfilter, didn´t want to remove my crashbars etc. I will check it when I have to replace the rear tire and therefore lower the wheel and engine/airfilter section anyway. But I guess the filter will still be pretty clean as well.
Breakpads are still in good condition and plenty of material left.

So the next 10.000km may come.  :) 8) Contrary to the dealers opinion I love that kind of flawless and easy maintanance work at low cost DIY. :D

I like my Like.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:47:45 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
Great report Robo!
Still circling my pile of parts for the 6000 mile re-do:-)
Bought a calipre gizmo to measure old belt wear....won't matter what I find because will still replace it with a new Kymco belt since I'm in there. Just curious.
Might try removing the rear wheel for the first time. ..take to dealer for a new City Grip instal....save some $ with DIY wheel removal.
Robo...where are the needle bearings in cvt/clutch that I should grease?
Still waiting on a day I can't ride to start the El Grando Servicimo ( or is that a new thing on Taco Bell menu?)
Regards from the middle of the northern americas....
Likes His Like, Too....Stig
PS: Are you any good at soccer? Need help here.
My daughter's team has been out-scored 74 to 3 so far this season.
Most of yhe girls have never seen a soccer ball before this year.
Daughter has my no running gene - so decided to be goal keeper. She is a brave kid...but lately wakes up screaming....Every minute of the games are played in her half of the pitch! This is not an exaggeration@!
The other team's goalie now brings a lawn chair since she gets no activity.
Suggestions @@!!@??
Stig
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:59:04 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »

PS: Are you any good at soccer? Need help here.
My daughter's team has been out-scored 74 to 3 so far this season.
Most of yhe girls have never seen a soccer ball before this year.
Daughter has my no running gene - so decided to be goal keeper. She is a brave kid...but lately wakes up screaming....Every minute of the games are played in her half of the pitch! This is not an exaggeration@!
The other team's goalie now brings a lawn chair since she gets no activity.
Suggestions @@!!@??
Stig

Change team? :)
Agility City 125

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »
where are the needle bearings in cvt/clutch that I should grease
Torque Driver

! No longer available

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
@Tom
Unfortunately I am not an active soccer player. Never was, except when I had to (forced in school).
But what I do like is watch some soccer games on tv, especially the world- and european championship games.
So your mentioned "no running gene" sounds familiar to me.  ;) I prefer more the slower motion (walking/hiking). Except motorvehicles. With them I go a bit faster from time to time...  ;D

Scooter stuff:
Watch the torque driver link from tortoise. The needle bearing is on the back side of the clutch assembly. The bearing on the front side is a normal servicefree sealed one.

To take off the wheel you might want to use or need a 2 or 3 arm puller because of corrosion on the shaft. First for the Y-lever where the exhaust is mounted on and second for the wheel itself. Make sure you regrease the Gearshaft/Driveshaft with a waterresistant permanent grease. I recommend the silver/grey Never seeze/Anti seize stuff. Every time you need to take off the wheel afterwards, it will just pop out easily.

And as far as I understood it, the easiest way to remove the rear wheel is, to put the scooter itself on its mainstand on a block of wood or something else, so that it stands higher than normal from above ground. And then open and remove both rear damper bolts and lower carefully the whole engine drivetrain block towards the ground surface. This way you might get enough space to remove the wheel and passing by the right damper without uninstalling the damper totally. Or you let all the air out of the tire and squeeze it to get past the damper.

At least this is the way I want to try and go maybe next year when my rear tire is ready for a replacement.
Cheers,
Robo

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »
Thanks tortoise and Robo !

I will give that bearing some attention when I do the belt change.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()