Author Topic: what the best oil to use?  (Read 3938 times)

customx22

• View Profile
what the best oil to use?
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
what oil do you folk use? how many km do i need on my bbk before i switch to synthetic oils? 

axy

• View Profile
Re: what the best oil to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
what oil do you folk use? how many km do i need on my bbk before i switch to synthetic oils? 

Personal opinion, in that simple engine everything above semi-synthetic oil is overkill.

Just change it every 2000 kms, warm up engine for a few minutes before blasting away at full revs, check valves and ignition every 6-7.000 kms and that would be enough.
KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle applies here.

With most scooters everything will fall apart sooner than you will experience problems in regard to oil quality.
I have P250S, 11 months old, 8000 kms, and had engine block replaced due to crack and today it will have tacho/speedo replacement as it died on me yesterday. On Agility 125 in the first 14.000 kms only starter switch died. On every bike and scoot I've owned in the past 11 years, I had all sorts of issues related with pretty much everything, but never with oil or engine core itself.

If it will make you feel better and buy "peace of mind" for 10-15 US$ in extra price of oil you can use fully synthetic and ester oils but, like I said, it is absolutely not neccessary on such a simple engine, especially not under normal conditions.

If you plan to travel two up on 50 cc to Andes, or race 24 hrs of Le Mans, I might have a different opinion...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27:37 AM »
"http://www.royalpurple.com/"

..these little engines run hard and hot...

..i'm very satisfied in this oil..Royal Purple 10w-40..i've been runing it for 4 months..that's about 3500 miles for me..

..running petroleum based oil, i needed to change it about every 500 miles...

..it was just junk by then..there's a pic in here somewhere...

..now i'm able to go over 700, and the RP is in much better condition..

..I might could go a little longer, but i like to have gooood oil in the old girl...

..i don't know if it's just coincidence or what, but my scoot has run the best it's ever run since i started using RP...

peace
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:42:48 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »
I have a two stroke, but I still run full synthetic Belray Si-7, I've got some H1R for the next batch!  I know I run the crap outta this little motor, so I want to make sure it gets the best lubrication possible!  On the four strokes they take such a small amount of oil, might as well use good quality!  It can only help!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 03:01:11 AM »
...750 ml each oil change and over 41,000 km....25,000 miles....

;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:32:58 AM »
See, There you go again! Giving the best advice away. USE DIRT OIL... The stuff you scrape off the sand behind the house. In a 15 gallon engine it matters, $vs#. Buy the best you can find, and post all the time. You already knew the answer.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:38:45 AM »
...can't skimp on oil...it's scooter blood...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
Here are a few thoughts for those that want to know "a bit more" and educate themselves.

1. Why is it that you can screw up your engine and actually decrease its lifespan if you start using fully synthetic oil immediately?

2. Why Suzuki for its 180 hp/1000 cc engines recommends mineral oil for the first 2000 kms, semi for the next 4000 kms and then fully synthetic (for example GSXR 1000)?

3. Suzuki 1200 cc engine, (for example Bandit) Kawasaki 1200 cc engine (for example ZXR), develop from 110 to 135 hp, depending on the jetting, carburetor/injection and exhaust. Why the companies recommend semi synthetic oil and not fully synthetic oil?

Sometimes Internet can be good to get extra knowledge, but sometimes, armchair-athletes, driven by "more is better" principle can give quite wrong advices.
I think it is up to everybody to get informed and reach conclusions.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
1. Why is it that you can screw up your engine and actually decrease its lifespan if you start using fully synthetic oil immediately?

Synthetic oil does too well of a job lubricating and will not allow the piston rings to properly seat into the correct place which can cause them to flutter, leading to breakage, and engine failure!  Once the rings are seated and the break-in period complete, then it should be safe to switch to a synthetic oil as it does an excellent job lubricating which will most certainly extend the lifespan of the engine!

customx22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
how many miles do i need on my 82cc bbk before i switch to full synthetics oil?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Synthetic oil does too well of a job lubricating and will not allow the piston rings to properly seat into the correct place which can cause them to flutter, leading to breakage, and engine failure!  Once the rings are seated and the break-in period complete, then it should be safe to switch to a synthetic oil as it does an excellent job lubricating which will most certainly extend the lifespan of the engine!

Exactly. Yet, most people would just pour 1 l of synthetic oil right away. "If it is expensive, it must do good to my engine".
So, a little education goes a long way. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
how many miles do i need on my 82cc bbk before i switch to full synthetics oil?

Take a look at point 2. from my previous post.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:45:55 PM »
I have heard a lot of different theories on break in period for these little motors.  I would think it best to consult the manufacturer.  Otherwise, you'd probably be ok with just running regular dyno oil and taking it easy (no WOT) and varying the rpms for the first 100 miles.  Then I would introduce WOT for progressively longer periods for the next 100 miles or more.  Then change the oil and replace with a semi-synth for the next oil change period.  The following oil change switch to full-synth.  Keep in mind these recommendations are just my speculations of what I would do, if I was unable to find any manufactures recommendations!  Always go with what the manufacture says, unless that information is unattainable!

kylenjp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 06:05:43 PM »
I know it's an old thread but good info should be updated, especially when people search they can find this forum and the users grow.

I use this oil for my Agility City 50, it is a 2018:

https://www.searchforparts.com/motorcycle-oil-change/kymco-2018-agility-city-50-50

it is solid, even though it costs a bit more, don't want to burn up my engine and my mechanic wanted to put the cheapest oil possible in it, said no thanks.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()