Author Topic: Float Valve  (Read 2030 times)

lewtwo

• View Profile
    • My Kymco Like 150i ABS web page
Float Valve
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:03 PM »
OK -- this started with a locked seat and a dead battery. Been that way for nearly two years. Finally pried the back of the seat up enough to remove the bolts on the seat latch. Replace the battery and give a crank. OK but not start. Tried a little ether (spray starter fluid). Runs for a couple of second. Repeated several times. Apparently the problem is the engine is not getting any fuel.

Removed all body parts from the fuel back. Now I can finally unbolt the fuel pump. Take that apart looks ok. Clean it, put it back together. Prime it and test it by sucking on the vacuum. Good to go. Put it back in place. Carb is now getting fuel. Try starting again. Tried a little ether (spray starter fluid). Runs for a couple of seconds. No joy.

Pull carb (loose one 5mm x 8mm stupid "phillips screw" for throttle). Take carb apart (strip two "stupid phillips" screws and  "slot" them with a hacksaw). Now I am finally into the fuel bowl. Here I find a mild steel "stupid phillips" screw holding the pivot for the float. Note to KYMCO: NEVER use mild steel screws in side of float bowl. Screw is covered with black corrosion and of course frozen in place. Back to the hack saw to slot the screw. Got it out and remove the float. Need to clean the float valve. Outside of float valve assembly is smooth cylinder.

Question 1: How does one get the float valve assembly out ?
Question 2: Are there any after-market sources for a replacement carburetor ?
Or do I have to order it through a Kymco and hope someone can get it from China before I forget how to put the thing back together?

Thank thee for any help or advice ....
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
https://www.keywild.com/scooter/Kymco150i/

lewtwo

• View Profile
    • My Kymco Like 150i ABS web page
Re: Float Valve
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Got it back together and set up a gravity feed to bypass the fuel pump. No joy .... new card is listed $253 at http://kymcopartsonline.com/catalog/search_diagram_detail.php?s_fk_manufacturers_id=21&s_fk_model_year_id=1&s_fk_scooter_model_id=9&s_parts_diagram_id=246 also need battery and fuel pump. Maybe it is time to scrap it for parts.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
https://www.keywild.com/scooter/Kymco150i/

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:19:22 AM »
Why do you need a new carburetor? Is the float filling up or filling up too full?
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Thank thee for any help or advice ....

Question 1: How does one get the float valve assembly out ?
Watch my carb videos.

Kymco Grandvista / Grand Dink:

Carburetor Cleaning & Theory three part series:

Question 2: Are there any after-market sources for a replacement carburetor ?
No, my videos cover this in detail too.  Consider ordering parts that broke.  If you stripped a screw you can take the carb to a machine shop and they can remove / re-thread the holes.

Regarding the stripped screws.  Buy a hand impact driver and you will never strip a screw again.  Use it first when in doubt.  Don't feel bad.  I too stripped the screw that you cut "slotted" with a hack saw - I used my rotozip to slot it.  On the other screw I use my impact too and had no problems.

Hand Impact Tool $7 also available at any auto store fairly cheap.
http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

If your carb is really clogged then it might be best to replace it even at a cost of $300.  If you do replace it save the old unit and sell the parts.  The vacuum diaphragm is $50 new and is the most commonly sold part so you can recover some money.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:14:09 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »
Different.  It is a Keihin CVK30.
PaulC

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:41:57 AM »
you can buy a cvk 30 on FleaBay for 40 bucks or less. Get a box full of them, and throw them away at tune ups.

Just swap out your jets for whatever comes in the carb, and you're golden.

Performance 30mm Carb CVK 150cc Scooter Roketa Sunl Go Kart GY6 Moped ATV Carb | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-30mm-Carb-CVK-150cc-Scooter-Roketa-SUNL-Go-Kart-GY6-Moped-ATV-Carb-/281174174952?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4177496ce8&vxp=mtr
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 05:04:19 AM »
you can buy a cvk 30 on FleaBay for 40 bucks or less. Get a box full of them, and throw them away at tune ups.
Just swap out your jets for whatever comes in the carb, and you're golden.

Can you post a picture of one of these installed on your grandvista.  What did you do with the Throttle Sensor and the tube that goes to the charcoal canister. Did you cut your boots so it would fit?
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()