Author Topic: What did the rider do wrong  (Read 3108 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
What did the rider do wrong
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »

What did the rider do wrong in this clip, the answer (IMO) to follow yours.

(Short clip)
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: What did the rider do wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »
He didn't own the lane.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:12:10 AM »
He didn't own the lane.

Well Bingo Bongo! Give that man a cigar! You got that right, he even moves to the far left as if it were OK for the taxi to try and pass. He should be in the outside portion or right tire track (of a car) to command his lane.

But now you ruined it for everyone else, I guess we can say that the first 5 viewers didn't know the answer or they'd have supplied it.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:15:04 AM »
I would've posted sooner, but I was trying to figure out if the motorcycle left at 9 am and was headed east traveling at 50 mph and the taxi left at 9:10 headed in the same direction at 60 mph, at what time would the taxi driver show he was a complete idiot?!?

I agree, it's your lane and act like it. Though I would've probably been over to the left too so I wouldn't be too close to the truck & camper. That's a lot of vehicle to wrangle in congested streets and he might miss seeing a two-wheeler and just come on over.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:21:25 AM »
just woke up.... I know the answer...

What did the rider do wrong in this clip?

He filmed this and worse, uploaded it for the world to see...  ;)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »
Left lane Dick.
Then he "baits" the cab by slowing down when he has a ton of open road ahead of him .

Guys begging to get smacked.

Be Big,
AMAC

BTW-not a fan of the one hand riding, particularly when a problem is anticipated.
Finally it must be a generational thing I don't get the need to have ones entire life on camera.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:18:01 AM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
If the knobhead hadn't have taken his mirrors off, he might have had a bit of an idea what was going behind him! Aren't mirrors compulsory over there ? Friggin dumb idea if they're not. The only reason you wouldn't have them on is if you were full on bush bashing, not bloody city riding. As Amac said, the clown would have deserved to get smacked.
That's my two bobs worth anyway.
Regards,
Hairy Bob.,
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:06:40 AM »
I'm thinking his bike is semi off road but still I'd have mirrors, must be something in the water he has a funny accent.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 03:05:08 AM »
This one's definitely a case of "let me count the ways"

Not owning the lane, being a dick in the lane he wasn't owning, one handed riding when he knew things were about to get hairy,  being a bigger dick when the taxi responds to his provocation,  taking the time to ride one handed some more so he can make gestures at the taxi IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INCIDENT, not riding a bike with decent mirrors on the highway.

This dude was way lucky, he came real close to stepping up to claim his Darwin award,  and probably blames it all on the taxi.

You don't often get to walk away from doing that many things wrong.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 04:00:04 AM »
rider is not owning its lane, riding to far to the left. saw that right off i'm stickin' to it
scoots!

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
I agree, several things this guy did wrong.  One that I didn't see mentioned though.  Bike vs. cage - the cage always wins.  It might have been best to just let the taxi go.  After pissing him off like that, I sure wouldn't want him behind me.  The taxi has already shown he is not respecting the motorcycle as a vehicle with a right to the lane - let him go and then enjoy the rest of your ride, I say.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:38 AM »
Where ever you go, in a lot of  countries, especially mine... there are two kinds of jerks on the road.... bikers and taxi drivers ... the downside is that taxis always win...  well, at least now we have motorcycle lanes on main thoroughfares....

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:44:50 AM »
I agree, several things this guy did wrong.  One that I didn't see mentioned though.  Bike vs. cage - the cage always wins.  It might have been best to just let the taxi go.  After pissing him off like that, I sure wouldn't want him behind me.  The taxi has already shown he is not respecting the motorcycle as a vehicle with a right to the lane - let him go and then enjoy the rest of your ride, I say.

Well said!

bostonscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
0. He's one person in a HOV lane so that's just illegal use of lane.

1. He didn't keep pace in his lane. He shouldn't have all that space in front of him

2. He continued to interact with the car behind him rather than focusing on the road before him

3. He didn't pull over and get out of the way to let the other cars pass since he has no intent of going the proper speed

4. He should shut the f*** up and ride

5. He escalated the issue by further interacting with car rather than diffuse the situation and put distance between them

6. He really didn't own that lane

7. He deserves to be honked at

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
Actually in most jurisdictions, motorcycles are permitted to use hov lanes. Certainly that's the case here in MN.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()