Author Topic: Will scoots ever be the main means of transport in Western countries?  (Read 8194 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Countries like the US are spread out, hence the need for independent transportation, the question I have is, will a scoot ever become the main form of independent transportation in places like the US?

My feeling is NO, someone will developed an electric car with enough range that even if gas reaches $10 a gal we'll have an alternative. Scoots don't provide comfort, and room for carrying things that Americans expect and have become accustomed to.

On a personal note I like the idea that there aren’t many of us on the road, the more of us there are the more the police will pay attention.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Will scoots ever be the main means of transport in Western countries?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
It's a shame people don't take more to scooters here. Distance, and hair-doos are more important to Americans.
I stopped driving cars about 16 years ago, and will never own one again.
What I found is riding bikes changes almost every aspect of your life. It starts w/ weather issues, and cumulates w/ distances.
I changed my lifestyle to accommodate these issues, and have never looked back. Not once.

I figured out here once that I used around 100 gallons of fuel in my 50cc scoots last year. When I was caging it that would have been about 3 weeks of fuel or 1,700 gallons a year/25,500 over 15 years x 3 bucks a gallon AVG = 76,500 bucks. 
100x 15 = 1500 x 3bucks $4,500.00. That's a fuel savings of $72,000.00.

Never mind the Maintenance, and Insc.
That buys a LOT of hippie grass, and flower decals. (Maybe that's why I lose everything)

Add tires/brakes x 4, Insc., title fees ect...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:08:02 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »
I'm in the same boat except it's only been 3 or 4 years since owning a car. It's an awesome change, and it that's crazy to think about saving $70k haha. I started working at a shop when gas hit $6/ gal and EVERYONE bought a scooter. We literally sold multiple bikes per day in the summer. Once gas prices go up everyone living "comfortably" driving their death machine suvs and trucks will be scrambling to come up with transportation that doesn't cost $300 to fill up. But there is the problem, Americans for the most part see scooters as A) toys for girls or B) tools of last resort. Granted they are really not great for long distance commuting, and this isn't good for people that commute 100+ miles a day. I've sat in traffic on my scooter before, wondering how cool it would be if everyone in a particular traffic jam was on a scooter, but then I also realize how bad everyone is at driving and start to rethink that idea. I don't believe scooters will ever be a large part of transportation in the USA like they are in Europe or Asia.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »
I bought my scoot because it's hard parking a car in the big city, and you can make your way around traffic if there is a jam (which happens all too much). When Storm Sandy hit our area I was one of the few that had transportation as there was no power to the gas stations to pump fuel and those that had it ran out quick.

Having 3 cars in the family I filled all the tanks prior to the storm and just sucked gas out as I needed it. The looks on the faces of those in gas lines was priceless. I never got more questions at stop signs traffic lights etc. People hearing almost 70 MPG in the city was eye opening, but as soon as prices went down and fuel started flowing that all stopped.

I do most everything on my scoot, temps don't bother me at all, but food shopping rain and snow get the car treatment as it's simply safer. Oh and the Prowler comes out when I feel the need foreed and a little showing off.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »
Seems like a fun adventure to ride around in storm aftermath. Here in Oregon we don't even know the word hurricane
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:01:17 AM »
Judging by the memberships on a few different distillation forums... You don't need hurricanes up there. Every day I see two to three new members from the pacific north west.

I often wonder where they get all the sugar up there.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 01:01:54 AM »
Seems like a fun adventure to ride around in storm aftermath. Here in Oregon we don't even know the word hurricane

No not fun. My hood after Sandy.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 01:13:35 AM »
No not fun. My hood after Sandy.

Be Big,
AMAC

I'll second that! My up north house was fine (high ground) but my shore house had to be torn down and rebuilt, still trying to get a CO on it. Almost lost my boat, only a chain link fence stood in the way of it floating out to sea.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 01:21:35 AM »
Should have tugged on the "This Old House" crew while they were up there.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:37 AM »
Sorry no offence meant, and the damage is horrible. I meant fun in the surreal end of the world sense.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 02:10:12 AM »
Countries like the US are spread out, hence the need for independent transportation, the question I have is, will a scoot ever become the main form of independent transportation in places like the US?

My feeling is NO, someone will developed an electric car with enough range that even if gas reaches $10 a gal we'll have an alternative. Scoots don't provide comfort, and room for carrying things that Americans expect and have become accustomed to.

On a personal note I like the idea that there aren’t many of us on the road, the more of us there are the more the police will pay attention.

Well....I have to put that down as a maybe.  The reason is simple.  URBANIZATION. 

Even here in the south we are seeing more demand for public transportation and rail systems.  Cars are becoming more and more pricier well wages are stagnant.  Student debt is at a all time high.  Add in the hidden costs of owning a car (insurance, maintenance and parking) and it becomes clear that owning a car may be beyond most peoples ability right now.  I've not even mentioned gas costs yet or environmental concerns yet.

The need for personal transportation has lead to ride sharing services like "Ubar" for example.  The growth of scooters over the last several years all reflect this.

Well I do agree that I think American's will embrace the scooter more and more, I don't see the day it becomes our main means of transport.  The country is just to big and with to much variation in temperatures and weather to make the scooter effective in large parts of the country.

So...maybe in the larger cities.  Less so in the mid west and in parts of the south.

Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 06:07:44 AM »
You can never tell guys... when i was a little boy, scoots are for sissies and girls here on the islands... Now, I ride one.. Lol!... The problem is the ol' American male ego!!! deymn!!!   Time will tell...

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »
Sorry no offence meant, and the damage is horrible. I meant fun in the surreal end of the world sense.

No worries I get what you meant.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
Hey Vivo, We miss ya bud. It's easy to sooth the Ego... Hang a deer skull for a front fender, and paint the plastics OD Green,
A few holes in the pipe, and Bruce Willis would want one.

Good points HoundGuy. Out here in the sticks you are stuck on a scooter. That's not such a bad thing in the long run tho.
I forgot about parking costs too. When I left NY 16 or so years ago, a parking garage in Manhattan was well over 1,300.00 a month. I thought that was insane then... I can't imagine what they charge today.
That's the other big issue. You can't put down a cup of coffee in the city w/o having some POS steal it. Never mind a 3-4k scooter.
Jokes on us eh?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
I miss ya all man!  time's tough... very tough.... tough times won't last,,,,, tough people do.... see you soon....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()