Author Topic: Riding cross country  (Read 5838 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Riding cross country
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
I've decided that at some point in life I want to ride across this country of mine, by myself and without time constraints. It doesn't matter if I cover 10 miles in a day or 1,000 but I need to know what size bike you think is up for the task. The trip will be over 3,000 miles in one direction and if I take a detour it could easily be 5,000 or more before I head home.

Along the coast there is pleanty to see and do, it's when I make it out to farm country that I may cover hunderds of miles in a day and once near the rockies it will be long stretches of up hill climbs in excess of 9,000 ft' alltitudes.

My thoughts are a small double cylinder bike around the 600 cc range but I have no real expertize in making this guess. Any help from you all would be nice.

PS this won't take place until I'm 60 or so, so I'm in no hurry. it's just the first thing on my bucket list.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Riding cross country
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »
Seems like an exercise in futility without knowing when this would occur . . and the models available then.  Why do you consider all the previous cross-country postings in the various forums and blogs to be irrelevant?  Really just sounds like you're jerking everyone's chain!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »
Seems like an exercise in futility without knowing when this would occur . . and the models available then.  Why do you consider all the previous cross-country postings in the various forums and blogs to be irrelevant?  Really just sounds like you're jerking everyone's chain!

One can easily assume the same "size" models as they now have, they usually run the range from 50cc right up and through 1,200 cc and maybe higher. So what's your beef?

I didn't search this out as I'm more or less lookingt omake conversation as well as see where others feel is the right size bike. Maybe it would light a fire under some to do the same type thing, you know sort of inspire some..

So in 10 years give or take a few I'll be 60 yrs old, not fat at 180 lbs and looking for a bike to cruise across the USA.

If you don't have an answer don't reply, if you do please do so.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »
I'm thinking a cruiser with an automatic tranny... Those are becoming popular these days...  But as for me... a small speed boat will do since i'm surrounded with water...   ;)

SaltyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 02:36:28 AM »
You may not need that big a bike for most of the ride, but you may want to consider that you'll need something that could handle headwinds, climbing, and elevation (lower oxygen) all at the same time. 

To give you a reference point - my experience has been that on a 400cc carbed bike (Yamaha Dragstar 400) was that it was pushing it beyond its limits when climbing from about 8000' and up elevations, even without a strong headwind.   If that bike had FI, maybe it'd be better.   Of course more CC would do the trick, but if coupled with a brisk headwind, it still may be struggling.  One thing to think about would be renting a bike from someplace like EagleRider just for that particular trip - they usually rent harleys, but I'd thought I'd seen a few sport/street bikes in a few locations.

I'm thinking a cruiser with an automatic tranny... Those are becoming popular these days...  But as for me... a small speed boat will do since i'm surrounded with water...   ;)
No need to let water get in the way of your scooting around the archipelago:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/vietnam-pt-2 (press play on the video)

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:43:12 AM by SaltyDog »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »
@MSL1: My buddies and I already did those scoot-on-boat trips.... very nice indeed...  ;) 

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »
I haven't done much more than 300 miles in one day but I'd want at least 250cc, Fuel injected and a larger wind screen not connected to the wheels and handlebars (downtown 300). Less buffeting on your arms that way.   Also removable storage options so you could take them inside with you at night.  The 250cc+ is mainly for hills.  If time isn't a concern then that's not as much of an issue but the power would be nice at day's end if you were trying to get somewhere specific before the sun went down. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
Considering how others have crossed the country in everything from a 50cc up to a monster bike of 1500cc I don't think it matters.  What matters is what you are comfortable with and what suits you.

I agree that given the variables we have in this country a bigger CC would be better.  I would think at least a 650. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »
Size doesn't matter.
In 1954, Günther Markert  rode around the world on his Kreidler R 50 scooter. Incredible 2 hp out of 49cc. Through the Arab desert and up to ca. 4600m altitude (15092 ft).

I've done 1629km (IBA verified - 1012 miles) in less than 1 day with my Kymco Yager GT 125, but it is also be possible with my Xciting or a Honda GoldWing.

If you have more than a week for those 5000 miles you could also take a 50cc.
For leisure I would really suggest a small or medium bike, not the GL1800 class.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:29:23 PM by ts1 »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
I haven't done much more than 300 miles in one day but I'd want at least 250cc, Fuel injected and a larger wind screen not connected to the wheels and handlebars (downtown 300). Less buffeting on your arms that way.   Also removable storage options so you could take them inside with you at night.  The 250cc+ is mainly for hills.  If time isn't a concern then that's not as much of an issue but the power would be nice at day's end if you were trying to get somewhere specific before the sun went down.

As far as removable storage I have used a top box and saddlebags but these are the bomb!
I've been using a large and a med large depending on the trip.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/

On and off the scoot in seconds.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
As far as removable storage I have used a top box and saddlebags but these are the bomb!
I've been using a large and a med large depending on the trip.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/

On and off the scoot in seconds.

Be Big,
AMAC

I looked at these.  How do you attach these bags.  Don't you need a sissy bar?
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:03:35 PM »
The bags come with bungee cords and nylon straps. A sissy bar not needed.
I've strapped then to a rear rack w/bungle and to the seat using the nylon straps under the seat.

On my Cali Classic

Honda Helix

Silver Wing

Be Big
AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:56 PM »
You may not need that big a bike for most of the ride, but you may want to consider that you'll need something that could handle headwinds, climbing, and elevation (lower oxygen) all at the same time. 

To give you a reference point - my experience has been that on a 400cc carbed bike (Yamaha Dragstar 400) was that it was pushing it beyond its limits when climbing from about 8000' and up elevations, even without a strong headwind.   If that bike had FI, maybe it'd be better.   Of course more CC would do the trick, but if coupled with a brisk headwind, it still may be struggling.  One thing to think about would be renting a bike from someplace like EagleRider just for that particular trip - they usually rent harleys, but I'd thought I'd seen a few sport/street bikes in a few locations.
No need to let water get in the way of your scooting around the archipelago:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/vietnam-pt-2 (press play on the video)

Cheers,
MSL

This is absolutely THE best bit of foolishness ever by The Boys!
Gentlemen, and ladies, you owe it to yourself to watch this epic travel video of Vietnam - funny though, I do not remember the country looking anything like this. They need a camera angle about 1/4" above ground level for so many of my memories. Or at 2500 feet - which is out of range of all but the crew-served, radar aimed spoil-your-day appliances used by the boys on the other team.
Good scooter stuff here, though.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »
Size doesn't matter.
In 1954, Günther Markert  rode around the world on his Kreidler R 50 scooter. Incredible 2 hp out of 49cc. Through the Arab desert and up to ca. 4600m altitude (15092 ft).

I've done 1629km (IBA verified - 1012 miles) in less than 1 day with my Kymco Yager GT 125, but it is also be possible with my Xciting or a Honda GoldWing.

If you have more than a week for those 5000 miles you could also take a 50cc.
For leisure I would really suggest a small or medium bike, not the GL1800 class.
You did 1000+ miles in one day on a 125 cc scoot?!
Could you tell us more about your journey - and maybe some photos. This sounds like a great adventure to some of us scooter nuts!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
I've decided that at some point in life I want to ride across this country of mine, by myself and without time constraints. It doesn't matter if I cover 10 miles in a day or 1,000 but I need to know what size bike you think is up for the task. The trip will be over 3,000 miles in one direction and if I take a detour it could easily be 5,000 or more before I head home.

Along the coast there is pleanty to see and do, it's when I make it out to farm country that I may cover hunderds of miles in a day and once near the rockies it will be long stretches of up hill climbs in excess of 9,000 ft' alltitudes.

My thoughts are a small double cylinder bike around the 600 cc range but I have no real expertize in making this guess. Any help from you all would be nice.

PS this won't take place until I'm 60 or so, so I'm in no hurry. it's just the first thing on my bucket list.

Thanks for posting this 08087 !
You've got some good conversation going here!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()