Author Topic: ABS  (Read 3576 times)

Toms2Sense

• View Profile
ABS
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
The Downtown 300i is available in other markets with ABS - any chance we'll be similarly blessed?   Its absence would send me into the arms of Suzuki...

ts1

• View Profile
Re: ABS
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
I doubt there is a Downtown with ABS. Not even in Taiwan.

Toms2Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
Check the web - you'll find verbal and photographic evidence of ABS-equipped Downtown 300i's, which is why I posed the question. 

artig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:47:23 AM »
Toms2Sense, have a look in the General Discussion forum for a recent thread about Downtown 300i first impressions:
http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=2555.0

It seems there has been some incorrect or misleading information distributed on this topic. The front wheel has a sensor ring as seen on bikes with ABS, but it is not connected to any ABS system. Despite what reviews of the scooter, dealers, or press notices have said.

Toms2Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:38:04 AM »
Thanks, Artig.  (Just got home from long weekend; please pardon the delayed response).  That thread was interesting...Is Kymco customarily this vague/uncertain/misleading/????? about its products?

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
Thanks, Artig.  (Just got home from long weekend; please pardon the delayed response).  That thread was interesting...Is Kymco customarily this vague/uncertain/misleading/????? about its products?

Based on my readings of several forums daily, all scooter vendors are very vague about their products, especially when you limit your concern about the North American market with the California CARB (Ca air resources board) compliance and federal DOT issues.  The scooter produced for the US (and Canadian as I understand) are but a small percentage 5-10% of most manufacturers business.  Also, the scooter made for the US must be built different than the EU market scoots which can also be exported/sold to many other country's market without major change (names and other minor cosmetic changes)

The US and Canadian scooter markets have been down since the boom in 2008 with declines in 2009 and 2010. Vespa factory sales to dealers are down 75% since 2008.

Another factor is that KYMCO USA, while partially owned by KYMCO, is still a US importer that may not have complete control over what gets sold here.  I think they have a say but not the ability to make demands about what get sold here.  Kymco decides what they will offer to Kymco USA, who makes decisions about what it will import and offer to the dealers, who then decide which models they will stock in a given year.

Just my two cents!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()