Author Topic: Salt worst enemy or harmless?  (Read 5382 times)

joebro

• View Profile
Salt worst enemy or harmless?
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Well it is iced here :( been three days i couldn't drive (my only transports my S9). They super salted our roads and i was curious, now that its dry outside could salt hurt my scoot? I always heard aluminum + salt = disaster, but I know lots of people who ride year round. Do you ride all year round? What precautions do you take?
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Salt worst enemy or harmless?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
I have an aluminum boat that rides in the salt all day long, no problem. You will get pitting after a time so just hose her down and you'll be fine. Ride man, ride!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
My steel Bet and Win 250 started to show rust at the fasteners and muffler covers and rear shocks when I commuted during the winter. I feel it starts to show age the moment the trucks start salting the surrounding roads. I guess that's why I used it as a beater scooter and applied light oil spray to fend off rust. I would hose off the bike when I find a nice dry day too. I imagine dry days should be just fine though for riding.

If I ran the world, I'd make everyone plow the roads and use winter tires and learn how to drive! The salt runoff can't be good for the environment.

If I were to do it again with a motorcycle or a scooter that I really like, then I'd park the motorbike and take the bus or use my beater bicycle on salty winter days.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
I've watched engines corrode away to a white pile of crap in just a couple months here in Wisconsin, because of being ridden in the winter. Let alone the rust from it.

Because I have no way to wash down a bike after riding, mine are put away before the white speed bumps and gallons of slimy beet juice are dumped on the roads, and they don't come back out until we get solid spring rains to wash all that crap off the streets and roads.

It's your bike and you're welcome to do as you wish..  I've ridden in comfort all the way down to 7F with snowmobile gear, but when they start salting the roads, my bikes get put away.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »
Salt is very corrosive and will eat into almost any metal but especially has a taste for aluminum and steel nuts and bolts. Just rinsing won't get it all off.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
Salt is very corrosive and will eat into almost any metal but especially has a taste for aluminum and steel nuts and bolts. Just rinsing won't get it all off.

And mufflers... :) I just pulled mine off to sand blast and re-rattle can it in flat/high temp black.

I just bought mine a couple months ago, but heat is hard on paint and welds aren't the stickiest for paint to adhere to.. Hence, they're the first to rust.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
What do people think about this stuff from Amsoil?
And, don't 90% of these scoots live in countries near the sea? Ocean air 24/7 can't be a whole lot better than riding on roads which have been salted, and then rinsed after the ride. Surely Asian scooter companies have taken this into consideration? Not that a scoot won't rust - but I can't see 'em flinging themselves apart under most any conditions found in the real world. If that were the case, seems like it would be tough to sell a second one to a fellow in the Philippines, or Taiwan.----
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/heavy-duty-metal-protector/

Stig
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:00:56 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
There's a difference between being around a little salt water, and driving down a road that's WHITE with salt, with the occasional 2" tall speed bumps, where the trucks stop but continue to dump salt on the road.
As you ride along on this salty surface, a cloud of salt is raised and the entire undercarriage is in a constant cloud, with this salt powder getting into every last crack and crevice. What's worse, is they now spread beet juice/salt slurry on the roads that does the same, splashing into everything. Hot, soapy water will wash it out, but when your garden hose spigot is outside, under 2' of snow and it's 12 degrees F, washing isn't an option.  :)

Again, everyone is welcome to do what they wish.. I'm waiting until spring to get my bikes out.. I can barely see through the windshield of my car because of salt spray, needing to clean it every 5 minutes while driving in certain areas.. I don't want to ride in that crap, and I don't want my motorcycles/scooters in it either.

Beet juice/Salt slurry application. (it doesn't dry)

Car salt (not my vehicle, but typical)

And that's the back of the vehicle. Imagine what the front and areas around the tire look like!:)

OK, here's what it looks like.. I don't want this on my bike..

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:31:19 PM by paper »

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
        When I bought my Harley in 2000, a fellow rider gave me this advice. Don't bring your bike out till the spring rains have completely washed the salt off the roads. I followed his advice, and when I sold the Harley in 2012, it looked like it came off the showroom floor. I do the same with my scooter now.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:10:32 AM »
Salt is bad... very bad... you have to wash more often...

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
Google: Toyota Tundra rust problems and be shocked by what you see. There are links where owners forums are on fire with reports of the vehicles entire chassis falling apart due to corrosion and poor metallurgy and frame coatings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+tundra+rust+problems&biw=1093&bih=467&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_RbtUtT5H-jv2QXdzoCoDA&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ

1940 and up American cars for the most part look just fine underneath. There is a difference in west coast vehicles and east coast ones and those driven in frequent ice and snow conditions where road treatment is a must.

2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »
Picture from the fellow in PA who rides his Vespa in the snow.
He also had a center stand fall apart from salt.
He never seems to give it a rinse after riding....puts it away, wet, in a cold shed.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »
Google: Toyota Tundra rust problems and be shocked by what you see. There are links where owners forums are on fire with reports of the vehicles entire chassis falling apart due to corrosion and poor metallurgy and frame coatings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+tundra+rust+problems&biw=1093&bih=467&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_RbtUtT5H-jv2QXdzoCoDA&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ

1940 and up American cars for the most part look just fine underneath. There is a difference in west coast vehicles and east coast ones and those driven in frequent ice and snow conditions where road treatment is a must.

The underside of my son's 9 Ohio winter's old Scion xB astounds everyone who looks under there. It is so clean it could be 6 weeks old. Every time we run it up on the ramps to change the oil we stare in amazement at how Toyota/Scion accomplished this. No black gunk sprayed on - just painted metal.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I live in the SE USA
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
In recent years the highway department has been using treatments that are much more effective than in years past for snow and ice removal.
I always change the oil in my vehicles my self. Days ago, I was changing the oil in 2007 model car. While under the car, I noticed some rusty spots on the metal beams. I put Rustoleum on the rusty spots.
This is the first time I have seen this on one of my cars.
Not sure if it has something to do with the new chemicals they are putting on our roads or not.

I do know one thing; I will not ride my scoot until the roads are clean.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
Guys: I live literally on the water in a sleepy seacoast town north of Boston. It's not just the salt on the roads (which isn't good) but it's "air" that ages all of my 2-wheels over the years for me. If you live 10+ miles away from the ocean, you'll be much better off. As Stig mentioned, that Amsoil, Boeshield or Corrosion X is a MUST! They all work well, but I find Corrosion X in the larger can costs less. I spray my entire exhaust before the Winter & it really helps out. Even washing it once a week in the Spring, Summer & Fall doesn't completely stop it.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()