Author Topic: Bogs down at 5000 rpm  (Read 6370 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Bogs down at 5000 rpm
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:27 AM »
You nailed it Ray Man. The slides on the Var are the weakest link in the drive.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ray Man

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 03:51:04 AM »
Zombie and Just Want to Ride - guess I should have followed your advice from the beginiing.  I did find some parts needing replacement in the variator and clutch area.  It ran fine if I didn't want to go over 25 mph.  So, I pulled the carb off and found two things of concern.  The throttle shaft was sticking a little.  It just needed some cleaning.  The main problem, I believe, is the throttle piston diaphragm has two cracks which won't  allow it to pull up - opening the throttle body all the way.  I will order a rebuild kit and diaphragm if it isn't included in the kit.  As for the float, there is a pin which is knurled on one end that retains the float.  Should I pull it out from that end or drift it out from the opposite end? 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
The opposite end. Unless you want to pull it thru both bosses. How much is the "kit" you found. Ebay carbs have all the parts needed, and only cost about 45 bucks delivered. Use the parts, and toss the body.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile

Ray Man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 06:53:58 AM »
I got one of the carburetors on EBay.  Very similar.  The diaphragm was a little different.  My diaphragm has a cutout notch on the bottom end to allow clearance for the butterfly when the throttle is wide open.  Had to get one from Kymco dealer.  Got it all put back together.  Runs pretty good now after over a month of down time.  Thanks for all the advise.  It is about midnight and I am about to head home from work.  Sweet ride time.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »
Glad you are running Rayman. Stick around... Your experience may help another. Thats how it works...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()