Author Topic: Modifications to 2011 Kymco Like 50  (Read 2445 times)

blackrod

• View Profile
Modifications to 2011 Kymco Like 50
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
Hi,

I purchased a 2011 Kymco Like 50 2T a couple about 2 months ago from Sportique Scooters.  The Like 50 had 160 miles on it.  Presently, I have 542 miles on the Like 50 and am interested in making a couple of modifications.  I am not mechanical and plan on having Sportique Scooter make the modifications.

I plan on upgrading to the Malossi 70cc cylinder and variator kit to get more acceleration than with the stock kit.  Would you recommend this kit?

Below are items that I would like to make modifications to improve on the Like 50's performance:

1. Upgrade of muffler/exhaust because it is just way too loud on the road.  What muffler/exhaust do you recommend that is quieter (without degrading performance) and fits the retro look of the Like 50?

2. Throttle - I notice that I am always at full throttle and the oil light stays on red for a while which is probably not a good thing.  What can I do to limit the full throttle and stop the oil light from turning on?

3. When starting up the Like 50, it takes a while for the engine to warm up.  In the morning, I will have to wait a minute or two to start acceleration or the engine will quit.  What can I do to improve performance of engine when starting the Like 50?

Other than that, I am very happy with the Like 50 and ride it every day to/from work in Denver as well as on the weekends.

Any feedback for the above items would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ross
 :)
2011 Kymco Like 50 2T
Kymco Crash Bars
Malossi 70cc
Malossi Variator

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Modifications to 2011 Kymco Like 50
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
Welcome Borgida!

The like forum tends to have periods of loads of activity and periods when its dead. Recently it has been the latter.

First I suggest reading everything this forum has to offer before making any decisions; there's alot of really good info on here.

On to the questions. It would help to know where your scooter is at now. The like comes stock restricted but alot of dealers derestrict the bike for you after you have purchased it with the stock derestriction kit. If you get ~28 mph its restricted, ~38mph its derestricted.

If its stock restricted you may be able to do a very simple derestriction and perhaps get the acceleration you are looking for. The order in which I derestricted/will derestrict my bike is:

1 Contra spring
2 Variator
3 Exhaust
4 Carb
5 70cc kit

There are carb/variator adjustments throughout this whole process.

1. I always recommend the Tecnigas Next R, there is also a LeoVince that has been received good reviews on here. Both will give you performance but I dont think they will give you the retro look you are looking for. While they definitely dont make the bike look bad, its not retro. The tecnigas isnt loud and actually has a nice sound to it.

2. You have a 2 stroke bike which requires 2 stroke oil. Make sure the oil tank is full. Its under the seat and its the other cap that you dont put the gas in. If you are just finding this out, dont ride the bike until you put oil in it!! (I dont mean to insult, you just said you arent mechanically inclined). The bike needs this oil to run properly. If you have a full tank of oil and the light is on, my guess is there is electrical problem with a sensor but im not sure. I havent messed with that portion of my bike.

3. I am learning 2 stroke scooter theory a the moment. So I dont know the answer for sure. My guess is that the 1) if its a warm day when this happens, idle probably needs to be played with, perhaps because you are all the way up in the mountains with thinner air or 2) its cold and thats just what happens.

Enjoy your scoot and take my advice with a grain of salt as im still learning. Hopefully one of the big dogs will answer you and tell you whats up.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
2011 Kymco Like50 (stolen -> recovered)
PM's OK!