Author Topic: Updates on what is working, tweaking, and questions  (Read 20184 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Updates on what is working, tweaking, and questions
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
Loads of events there... Does the grinding noise stop once the engine is running? Can you see any thing that has made un wanted contact inside?
The Ramp plate must Not spin when it is installed. It spins with the crank. So the tighter it fits the crank the better. It may just not be seating all the way to the base of the crank holding the Var too far into the case. Try your old ramp to be sure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
The new ramp plate now has the same clearance as the old one. I did double check by sight and by measurement with my pocket caliper. When I took it apart this morning, I couldn't even get the ramp plate off of the shaft. At least now, I can move it on and off the shaft.
I believe the sound that I incurred yesterday was an improperly seated bendix. What is occurring as of this morning is that the noise is not stopping once the engine engages. The only areas where I can tell that there may be unwanted contact are some rub areas on some of the fan blades and potentially on the ends of the teeth of the kickstart gear, cover side. I have not measured properly the old and new bosses, going instead by feel (which I wish I had measured earlier). The Jasil boss my be a fraction of a millimeter longer, given its' tapered ends.
We just got back from getting an ultrasound about an hour away, else I would have gotten it apart again for measurements.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2012, 09:44:06 PM »
The fan can hit the starter spring retainers or the drive face can hit the kick start gear if the cvt cover gasket is missing. Also using a longer boss for more travel can require a second cover gasket. This may be the case with yours.
I had a similar issue when experimenting with longer bosses. I needed 2 cvt cover gaskets.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »
So, I just got back inside.
The Jasil boss is 39mm where the OEM is 38mm. That coupled with a slightly taller ramp plate means that yes, the fan (and likely the starter gear on the fixed plate) were catching the gear in the cover.
I have swapped back to the stock vari and it now runs.
I think it's more than just one extra gasket cover. If I had to guess, it's probably 1-2+ millimeters worth of extra.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »
You could use up to 3 gaskets but any bigger will need longer bolts. It depends on how much better the different set up is. If the belt sits loosely in the drive boss at rest you can cut back the boss length to 37mm safely. From there you could shim it to get the most from the var.
Just saying...It's all not bolt on.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
I am unsure at this point what my next step will be.
I know I need to pull the cover tomorrow as when I had runn the scoot about half a mile, it stopped accelerating beyond idle in spurts (I was almost back home though, thankfully). I didn't seat the belt as well as I should have on reassembly and too, my torque wrench died as I was tightening the vari nut, though it had clicked to indicate marked torque before dying.
As for shimming the cover, we shall see. I can't do anything monetarily for at least a week or so, so I will get by on the old one for now.
I could pull the kick, but that'll be a bitch to put back when I find another solution, so we shall see.
I've got that kevlar belt in now, but would rather have it as back-up and use a fresh Kymco belt. The one I had in there was at 17 so I may swap them out for now.
Need to eat, more reportage later.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »
I will contemplate cutting the boss. I have access to a portaband.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2012, 11:56:10 PM »
Scribe it carefully. It Has to be square.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
I've written to see if Josh can lathe/machine it and if not, then I will take it to a machine shop. I'm good, but accuracy is the most important aspect of this!
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46:07 AM »
It's good that you have Josh as an asset. He's a huge help.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
Amen to that. He's been crazy busy, which is why I went local with the machining, but between you and he and some of the other kind folks on this list, I just might learn a few things. (and yes, modding is like frickin potato chips. :D
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
My next potato chip:
My jury is still out as to which carb I shall end up getting, but I am certain it will be a Dellorto.
With that in mind (and since I can't afford to get everything at once), I think I am going to go ahead and order the larger manifold and gaskets made for this engine, available at Racing Planet -
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/intake-manifold-20mm-racing-kymco-p-250-1.html?cPath=2_26378_26380&sessID=8daad231bd2b7945f800b06bc850e5ad
and an insulator spacer -
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/carburetor-intake-manifold-insulator-spacer-with-oring-p-2280-1.html?cPath=2_26378_26380&sessID=8daad231bd2b7945f800b06bc850e5ad

Regardless of 17.5 or 19, either way the point is moot with the smaller diameter intake. If I go with the 19, more parts will still be necessary.
Here's a question, though, what are the thoughts on what the stock carb will do with a larger intake?
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
My "gut" feeling is about 20% better flow. Maybe 1 hp or so. The real gain will be at high rpm where it needs more fuel/flow. I've seen a few where the flanges were cut off the OEM intake, and re welded to an aluminum pipe to get the same result. It may help to price that option as well.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
Right on. Thanks for the thoughts. I'm kind of open to all options just now.
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()